The Journey To Find A Fox. Found A Cobra Instead.

As far as the value of foxbody 5.0's going up in value, I do believe they are. I do see owners asking for more and more money when I see them for sale. I am, however, skeptical of how much they actually sell for (if they sell at all). The Foxbody's for sale are also becoming nicer now that more people are building them up and sinking some decent money into them which is increasing the value. More and more people are looking for a Fox to begin their build so the lower mileage, close to stock type cars are going up in value too. If somebody owns a sub 100k mile, original V8 5.0, 5 spd Mustang then they are sitting on an appreciating asset IMO.

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Just an update. The guy with the Cobra bought another foxbody, so now will only sell the Cobra.

Had a guy come look at the 66 yesterday. Spent about an hour looking at it, he even brought a magnet and flashlight. Offered me 14k, I countered with 16k. No deal. Countered again at 15k. No deal. He definitely knew what to look for, but this would have been his first classic. He was shocked at manual brakes for sure. He said he wouldn’t pay 15k because of how common it is, wasn’t safe/reliable (I’m thinking brakes again) for the cost. And of course he through out kbb and nada values. Pointed out every single thing wrong with it. Gotta love Craigslist. So the journey continues..

Well I sold my ‘66 a couple weekends ago. Pretty happy with what I got for it. Nice to finally have someone show up on time with a trailer and had a great conversation for about 2 hours. I know it was going to a good home.

Going to go look at the Cobra I have been eyeing for a couple of months. Been talking to the guy on and off for a while. I do have a couple of questions. Are the engines for Cobras (or all foxbodies) stamped with a partial VIN? I want to make sure that it is the original engine. I know to look for the bars and “gt” on the heads. Any other clues as to what to look for?

Yes to partial vin. It's located on the block just behind where the lower intKe sits down. Tough to see on a car with engine in place.

IMG_5258.JPG

Yep looks like it’d be hard to see, even with an inspection mirror. Would the trans be stamped as well? And would that be visible?

Yes it would be stamped as well.

Forward edge of the main case on the passenger side near where it bolts up to the bellhousing would be where it's stamped. I have a disassembled T5 at home. I can snap a pic later tonight

A little late, but yeah, as the other pics show here it is. Also, in the pics above and this one you can see the casting date in the side. In this case, 1990. Another clue to use

Also, interesting enough this VIN makes no sense. I believe it's FL214803 which means 1985 and made at the Michigan truck plant.

IMG_5275.JPG

Last edited:
A little late, but yeah, as the other pics show here it is. Also, in the pics above and this one you can see the casting date in the side. In this case, 1990. Another clue to use

Also, interesting enough this VIN makes no sense. I believe it's FL214803 which means 1985 and made at the Michigan truck plant. I'm pretty sure this t5 was originally a 1990 2.3 t5

IMG_5275.JPG
The "F" and "L" are reversed. In the VIN it is "LF". The complete VIN is 1FACP42EXLF214803 (1990 GT hatchback).

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone have any experience repainting wheels? The wheels on the cobra I looked at are original, but are powder coated black on the turbine center. Kind of a cobra r look. If I go that route I would like to restore them back to original. I’m sure I’ll have to get the wheels blasted and then repainted or powder coated. Can you get powder coating in the original color? Powder coating come off with sandblasting?

Powder coating does come off when blasted. Most powder coating companies in my area will give you a choice of many dozens of colors. You're sure to find one very close to original.

So what does everyone do about listening to mp3/iPhones in their cars? I know from having Vintage Mustangs you can send out your original radio and get it converted to have a hookup for an iPhone. Is anyone doing this for say a stock cassette or CD player for Fox bodies?

^^^ This would sound like ass on a plate.

Cassette was absolutely the worst listening option even back in the day when it was all that we had.
Music sources are limited by their ability to reproduce the original recording and are measured by dynamic range (The distance between the lowest audible frequency, and the highest audible frequency that the source can reproduce, (measured typically like 20hz - 20khz)) And..... signal to noise...(S/N) .The sources ability to deliver that range w/o adding any ancillary noise to the end result as a by product of its operation.....(Cassette tapes had "hiss" that was considered the "noise" that dirtied up the signal)

Bottom line,..Cassette tape decks in factory head units were at best only capable of producing something in the 60hz low range, to about maybe 13-15khz in the high frequency range...Bass would be non-existent,...and cymbals, strings, and other things typically associated w/ "high frequency" wouldn't even be heard.
Using an adapter to allow Bluetooth input would be equivalent to listening to AM radio.

I'd listen to road noise before listening to AM radio.