The Motor Is Out!

• Sponsors (?)

Ugh. I'm still sleepin on what I'm gonna do here.

Feels like my car just died. I gotta do some math and see if I should just buy a shortblock and get it goin or if I wanna full blown rebuild.

Unfortunately this car is kinda trash. Still deciding on if there is enough car there for me to justify all this effort.

Reactions: 1 user
Ugh. I'm still sleepin on what I'm gonna do here.

Feels like my car just died. I gotta do some math and see if I should just buy a shortblock and get it goin or if I wanna full blown rebuild.

Unfortunately this car is kinda trash. Still deciding on if there is enough car there for me to justify all this effort.
Having been out of the game for a long time and recently getting back into it I'm going to say there is enough car to bring it back to drive life! I hunted for a stock fox for almost 6months and only found 2 worth spending money on. They aren't as easy to come across anymore. Elbow grease and a good plan can go far on a budget with time.

Ok I've slept on it, and have tallied up the results of the damage to the engine, and here's what i've got.

Heads are ok
Block is ok
7 lifters are ok.

Everything else?
Broken.

In a nutshell it needs a rotating assembly. Or if I had more money a shortblock... Not buying a shortblock.
The camshaft lobes are squared off where that lifter was so it's toast. Crankshaft is also toast...

I am also not replacing with another used motor, because god forbid THAT motor is falsely advertised and I wind up with two boat anchors at my house.

It's about 400-500 dollars to me in parts, and a few days of my time split up over various weekends and after work.

I'm not giving up on this car just yet.

So here is my next question, and the last piece to my puzzle. A stock cam to me is $330!! That is a pretty penny... Here's where im getting confused....
An alphabet cam- E or B for example is $195 to me. I am over here tryin to ball on a budget. I am really considering buying one of these little baby cams just to save money. IF it works, great. If it performs even better!

You must know this in advance. I AM STICKING WITH THE STOCK HEADS! DEAL WITH IT!!!
I've lurked and seen so many threads get hijacked and hated on and the point gets lost with changing the heads.
It's not gonna happen with this engine. I can't afford it. Unless you're gonna donate me some GT40 heads, its just not in the cards right now.

The question is. If I just put the mild E or B cam is the motor gonna blow the :leghump: up?

EDIT: I forgot to add, there are Crane 1.7 Rockers installed on these heads. They're all good. Stock pushrods as well, also good.

forget the cam IMO. You already have 1.7 rockers. If you install a cam, are you going to change out the springs?

I HAVE to replace the cam. The stock cam that's in there is destroyed.

The ford alphabet cams are cheaper than another stock one.

So it's getting a new cam end of story. The point is the 120 dollar difference in the "performance" cams favor.

I HAVE to replace the cam. The stock cam that's in there is destroyed.

The ford alphabet cams are cheaper than another stock one.

So it's getting a new cam end of story. The point is the 120 dollar difference in the "performance" cams favor.

Are you replacing the valve springs or leaving them as is
cheaper does not mean better
with stock E7 heads, if it were my car I would put another stock cam back in with the 1.7 rockers and call it a day
This motor is not going to be making big hp anyway. keep it reliable with good low end torque.

Your avatar says needs more B cam!
upload_2017-5-15_20-3-12.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users
I was very happy with the e can with stock heads. 1.7 rockers will wake it up a little. An old trick with the e can was to put 1.7s on the exhaust and 1.6 on the intake....it worked well for me. The exhaust side is the choke point of the stock heads.

There's no way I'd pay 330 bucks for a stock can when the e can be had for under 200. I've never owned the almighty B cam.

I was very happy with the e can with stock heads. 1.7 rockers will wake it up a little. An old trick with the e can was to put 1.7s on the exhaust and 1.6 on the intake....it worked well for me. The exhaust side is the choke point of the stock heads.

There's no way I'd pay 330 bucks for a stock can when the e can be had for under 200. I've never owned the almighty B cam.

Yah. You get it. This guys on the same page.

"Needs more b cam"

Yeah, maybe. Cam is last on my list to buy so I can hold out for a little bit.

If not it's getting either an e or b. Deal with it
Easy.....easy.....

B and E cams are both fine cams. The E cam will give you a little more lope at idle. It really does sound good.

The other higher dollar cams are for later, don't sweat it.

Reactions: 1 users