the 'unservicable' balljoint

Iand

Aug 18, 2004
Kelowna, BC
So i finally got around to replacing my control arm ball joints, but in the hanes manual it says there 'unservicable', and that i have to buy a whole new control arm. I went to lordco and asked if they had the balljoints, sure enough they did. I got one side out and attempted to put the new one in...no such luck. Have you guys ever changed these? did you have to take em to a machine shop to press the balljoints in, or did you hammer em in some how? Any info is apprectiated, THXS! :mad:

• Sponsors (?)

www.summitracing.com
Part = FMS-M-3075-A

I heard these actually and greatly improve the ride quality?

You do have to get the new ball joints pressed in.
The interference fit is too snug for man strength and a vise or hammer will usually mash them too much.
Good Luck

thxs for the info and the link, already got the balljoints just need to get em in. I molested the old ones beyond recognition trying to get em out, didnt want to do the same to the new ones. Thxs again!

Bill's right. The tool is a big C-clamp with some adapters. I have had pretty good luck using said tool (I liked it enough to buy one elsewhere).

Good luck.

Zero_chance said:
Yeah I wouldnt bother wasting the money on new control arms unless your old ones have a problem. Just rent the tool, you get your money back.
I will disagree if someone needs bushings too. The non-servicable arms tend to oblong the mounting boss for the ball joints - I am iffy with multiple replacements on a given arm for this reason. Some aftermarket BJ's are slightly oversized to accomodate this, but there arent stages of oversizing for each time a new aftermarket BJ is installed. And let's hope they all use the same amount of oversizing (imagine using an oversized joint and then finding another one that is OEM sized).

I would have gotten new arms if they were around when I did mine. If bushings are needed, figure 40-50 for bushings, 20-30 each for BJ's, possible bushing machine shop cost (I dont fart around with those if I dont have to) and the cost for new arms altogether is not far from there.

This is just my general opinion since it sounds like BJ's are all that are being done here.

I'm sure Northern and Harbor Freight have them. When I did mine I used a small section of steel pipe and my floor jack, it wasn't too bad. I need new bushings too so when it's time to install my springs/struts I will just be buying new arms.

Trent's right on. I got the kit at HF on sale. I have used it once when I was doing a thrash and the parts store was closed - otherwise I like to beat up someone else's tools. But it worked well for me when I needed it, and that's why I got it (I will use it on U-joints too, which was the real reason I got it).

Cool, sounds like i got a few options, i live in the great white north which is lacking tool rental places (at least the town i live in). Iv gone to a few and asked for a balljoint press for a food and they looked at me like im an idiot...am i describing it wrong? bah, to the machinist i go

I have seen some folks at parts stores who have trouble understanding the spoken word. At some parts stores, they have a big 'grease pad' on the parts counter which lists all the tools they rent and has pics. I find myself pointing at the pic and grunting.

Good luck.

HISSIN50 said:
I have seen some folks at parts stores who have trouble understanding the spoken word. At some parts stores, they have a big 'grease pad' on the parts counter which lists all the tools they rent and has pics. I find myself pointing at the pic and grunting.

Good luck.
Do any of the employees look like Magilla Gorilla? Have you tried paying them in Bananas yet?:rlaugh:

If I want to buy auto parts from people whose first language is English, I have to go to NAPA Auto Parts... My Redneck is much better than my Spanish...

HISSIN50 said:

Good luck.

:rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh:

:nice:

Do any of the employees look like Magilla Gorilla? Have you tried paying them in Bananas yet?

If I want to buy auto parts from people whose first language is English, I have to go to NAPA Auto Parts... My Redneck is much better than my Spanish...

:lol: :lol: Maybe if you brought the whole a-arm by a ford dealership they could press them in real quick for ya. personaly id walk around back and hand a guy 20-30 bills and ask the mechanic to do them real quick. worst he could say is go to front desk. :shrug: