There still out there....

I'd like to see a study that compares those who sometimes or frequently don't return carts to their own claims of returning them. I'll bet around 95+% claim to.

With regard to language, in practice what we see is a spectrum representing the education of the person, and intelligence and effort to a lesser extent, in a person's mastery of grammar with obvious exception for non-native speakers. So, I'd argue that it's the rare exception, or likely nobody, who casually writes in perfect grammar in casual conversation or internet chat. How many of you proofread and make multiple edits to refine your writing here?

Therefore, there will always be someone who will look at your writing and consider it sloppy, uneducated, etc... If you are so harsh in the judgment of others, then you deserve no better yourself from those more educated than you.

The point of language is to communicate ideas. If one can accomplish that task effectively enough, perhaps even when requesting clarification on the part of the listener is required before proceeding, shouldn't we just crack on instead of stopping to explicitly expose their shortcomings? I see correction in these ways as snobbish, condescending, and more importantly unproductive. And, actually, it's counterproductive to language being the means of exchanging ideas when the person who wants to communicate an idea stops short because they're worried about your judgment.

It's nitrous not "NAWS," and tissues not "Kleenex," and you shouldn't start a sentence with a conjunction, or end with a preposition... All of those claims are actually wrong! Language and grammar is an ever evolving landscape and what becomes the norm becomes the rule, eventually. Sure, we all have pet-peeves. I can't stand the fact that "literally" has come to mean "figuratively," in some dictionaries, lol. Just realize there are others out there judging you for judging others, and they're probably not going to tell you. If you don't care about those judgments, maybe consider that the person you judge doesn't *neither.*

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

With regard to language, in practice what we see is a spectrum representing the education of the person, and intelligence and effort to a lesser extent, in a person's mastery of grammar with obvious exception for non-native speakers. So, I'd argue that it's the rare exception, or likely nobody, who casually writes in perfect grammar in casual conversation or internet chat. How many of you proofread and make multiple edits to refine your writing here?

Nearly every time and I [still] make mistakes or rather, miss correcting mistakes.

It's a habit I picked up while working aircraft. I didn't always get that 100% correct either but I was sure to at least read through it. I'm relatively certain that in your line of work, you've developed similar habits.

Words matter whether you communicate up, down, or sideways. How much it matters depends on the purpose of communication.

I for instance, am amused by the hypocrisy of one of the most difficult languages on the planet... English. :D I remember being warned by a teacher in grade school that the more I learned about how to use English, the more I would screw with it. She wasn't wrong and I'm not the only one.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mfz3kFNVopk

The point of language is to communicate ideas. If one can accomplish that task effectively enough, perhaps even when requesting clarification on the part of the listener is required before proceeding, shouldn't we just crack on instead of stopping to explicitly expose their shortcomings? I see correction in these ways as snobbish, condescending, and more importantly unproductive. And, actually, it's counterproductive to language being the means of exchanging ideas when the person who wants to communicate an idea stops short because they're worried about your judgment.

I see them as mostly humorous (although there are exceptions). I also, many times, liken it to a similar situation:

Regardless of whether I've known somebody for long time or met them for the first time, if they have booger on their nose, I'll them about it. I mean... I don't want them to keep walking around with a booger on their nose. What happens later when they find the booger and realize I could have told them about the booger? :O_o:

It's nitrous not "NAWS," and tissues not "Kleenex," and you shouldn't start a sentence with a conjunction, or end with a preposition... All of those claims are actually wrong! Language and grammar is an ever evolving landscape and what becomes the norm becomes the rule, eventually. Sure, we all have pet-peeves. I can't stand the fact that "literally" has come to mean "figuratively," in some dictionaries, lol. Just realize there are others out there judging you for judging others, and they're probably not going to tell you. If you don't care about those judgments, maybe consider that the person you judge doesn't *neither.*

To me, it comes down to a matter of personal effort. You mention non-native speakers etc... What I've observed is that some folks make an honest effort while others do not regardless of their language of origin (even if it's English). I mean, you can tell when somebody is struggling or they just don't care.

You might be surprised to see how many posts (mostly from brand new accounts) that never see the light of day because it's gibberish.

The twisting of literal words into counter-literal words well... I have nothing for that. That's a Millennial thing. They think they're being ironic. There will never be a shortage of people who talk but never say anything. :shrug: It will end up biting some of them in the ass because they literally, do not understand the meaning of the word. :O_o:

If there were no set of rules at all, regardless of how arbitrary some may be or seem to be, we'd all have to learn new languages just to function outside of our own regions or locale. There would be no end and people would grow further from being able to function in large societies.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrZlWw8Di10

View: https://youtu.be/yU2wkD-gbzI?si=VNGVYnx3NZY4xMkg&t=76

Reactions: 1 user
My English teacher in the 12 grade told me that I would "Rue the day that I did not know what a "dangling participle" was."
I think she is wrong.
I have never in my life needed to know what that is.
Still don't know.
Not going to look it up.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Went to West Point when I first joined. The only dialect I can remember is that of M'bog Hob, who was an exchange student from Cameroon IIRC. And, I loved when he stumped the big-name speakers who couldn't understand a word of what he said! lol

Went to West Point when I first joined. The only dialect I can remember is that of M'bog Hob, who was an exchange student from Cameroon IIRC. And, I loved when he stumped the big-name speakers who couldn't understand a word of what he said! lol

Oh man... I can recall a few. One was a farm kid from Arkansas (I was later stationed there so, it wasn't an issue years later). His 'Arkansas' was so thick you couldn't understand him half the time. TIs made him repeat damned near everything.

Another was from North Dakota (doncha no). That one wasn't as tough but it took some getting used to. I think he was also a fluid French speaker (which didn't help at all).

The other I recall was a kid from India. Came for college, couldn't deal with school --and-- the language barrier so he joined the Military as enlisted while he applied for citizenship. :rlaugh: He was kind of an oddball because he could read and write fine. He had as much difficulty listening to us as we did to him. He is like Jackie Chan in that respect. LoL

Reactions: 1 users

"There" Usage​

There is about location. It has the word here in it, which is helpful, and it often answers the question “where?”

There it is.
Put it there.
Stay there.
We'll be there soon.

It's about location in the more abstract sense too:

There you go.
There is where we disagree.
Friends who are always there for you.

It’s also the one to use in a question or statement that begins with “Is there”/”Are there” or “There is”/”There are.”

There is a nice hotel in the town.
There are plenty available.
Is there a hotel in the town?
Are there many cats in the shelter?

"They're" Usage​

They're is a contraction that means "they are." Apostrophes indicate where one or more letters have been taken out of a word or words. They generally indicate contraction of two words, as in can't = cannot, we’ve = we have, or he’s = he is, or omission of a letter or letters, as in singin' for singing and 'em for them in stick it to 'em.

They're (=they are) funny people.
They're (=they are) the cutest puppies ever.

It can be used of non-living things too:

They're (=they are) both really good books.
They're (=they are) two of our biggest problems.

"Their" Usage​

The last of this trio, their, is the possessive form of they, so it has to do with what belongs to, relates to, or is made or done by "them".

It's their house.
We're their neighbors.
The trees are losing their leaves.

Their
also has a long history of being used as a singular pronoun. Associate Editor Emily Brewster explains its usage in this video.

And there you go. They're not an easy group of words, but with practice we know you can master their distinctions.

In summary: There is the most common. It has the word here in it, which is helpful because it's often about location. They're always means "they are." Their is the possessive form of they.

'so there' :jester:

1701281966372.png