Thermactor Plugging?

Purdytang9

Active User
Apr 12, 2017
I was look at the back of my heads and it looks like the PO just left the little looks like a tube for the thermators...but I've read in some posts you have to cap them..how would y'all go about doing it?...do I just leave them there?...

• Sponsors (?)

The Ford dealership has plugs for the heads. It is the same plug used on the front of the heads where the accessory mount brackets bolt on.

Unless you can get a tap in there to clean the carbon out of the threads you can forget about putting the plugs in with the heads installed on the car. Trust me I tried. I gave up and cut the tube down to where it sits behind the heads and can't be seen. I also installed a plug in the tube to seal it off.

Did you save the air pump, hoses and related hardware? They are getting hard to find for restorers, any stock parts removed should be saved for future use, many parts will not be reproduced in the future, I just sold a small bracket from a vintage mustang for stupid money because you can't find them anymore. I bet I've had it for 40 years, was worth the wait.