Think I found where my leak is coming from

7upstang91

10 Year Member
May 30, 2008
Florida
So I have been battling a leak, very small for about two years. I think the water pump was slowly going among other things. After the first NMRA event this year. Got a used one for $25, what the heck right? It lasted til last month. I replaced it again as well as the thermostat(which there wasn't one in there). Only to find out there was a small hole in the thermostat housing under where the hose is run to(probably has been there for awhile). I have replaced that. Then found out i had a small crack in my over flow. Patched that. As I was under the car putting the tank back into place I found more fluid around the block it looks to be where the timing cover is. Is there a gasket there??? I think I will need to replace it. How long will it take?

Any thoughts?

Thank you!

• Sponsors (?)

It will take you a few hours with a big fat "IF" you do not break any timing cover/water pump bolts. Don't forget the bottom two timing cover bolts coming up from the oil pan. Make sure the timing cover is flat, clean, and painted before you put it back(not necessary but sure looks better).

Matt

It will take you a few hours with a big fat "IF" you do not break any timing cover/water pump bolts. Don't forget the bottom two timing cover bolts coming up from the oil pan. Make sure the timing cover is flat, clean, and painted before you put it back(not necessary but sure looks better).

Matt

I do have a spare timing cover. But there is a gasket there? It shouldn't take to much longer than doing a water pump right?