Thinking About A 2v "sleeper" Project (opinions Welcome)

Shane_713

Aug 8, 2005
North Carolina
I've been in the market for a new Mustang for quite some time. The last one I owned was a 92 LX 5.0 Hatchback, which I sold in 2008... so it's been a while. Needless to say, I'm ready for a new car.

I've been shopping around; looking primarily at SN95's (96-98 w/4.6L), and think that a 2V "sleeper" would be pretty cool. I'm a sucker for under-dogs.

I found a Black 96 GT last week on Auto Trader, $3500, 110K, 5-Speed, decent interior, clean Carfax report, interior looks reasonable, bullitt wheels... I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on this deal and bringing her home.

So, I thought before I did that, maybe I'd post up the "wish-list", see what everyone thinks. Who know's, I might actually end up going in a different direction entirely, depending on what I read.

Here's the list:
DSS 5.3L (all forged) Boss-Mod Shortblock
Trick-Flow Twisted Wedge 2V heads (ported by Fox Lake)
Port matched Trick-Flow (PI) Intake Manifold
Assortment of PI upgrade parts (if needed)
Crower Stage 4 (PI) cams (debatable, I really haven't decided yet)
Edelbrock direct port nitrous system (probably 200 shot)
Long Tube Headers (haven't decided on brand yet)
Magnaflow Tru-X pipe with single chamber Flowmasters dumped
G-Force T-5 Tranny, or maybe Tremec TKO (haven't decided)
Steeda K-Member, CCP's, Strut Bars, Full Length Sub-Frame Connectors, and 5-Link rear suspension.
Tokico struts with steeda sport springs, Steeda upper and lower rear control arms.
Rear seat delete (probably gonna be home made, professionally upholstered)
Upgraded brakes (bigger rotors, four piston calipers, haven't decided what brand)
Rear spoiler delete (I hate spoilers)

I guess that would be a start. Of course, it'll take some time to put it all together, but I'd be interested to hear what everyone thinks.

My plan is to leave the exterior alone. I don't want it to look like anything other than a stock 96 GT with Bullitt Wheels and a nice brake kit. Of course anyone looking at it from behind will know better (especially when they see the 5-Link), but I'm trying to be as subtle as possible.

Goal for the car: Street/Strip/Track use. Primarily weekend driver.

I look forward to hearing what everyone has to say.

• Sponsors (?)

If you are gonna go street I would ditch the uppers control's because of binding. I'm sure how that is gonna be a sleeper considering that the 5.4 /.3 is need of an extra large cowl hood.

I'm not sure what P.I. extra parts, you are gonna need if you changing the engine block and or heads as well. Yea, anyone one w/a set of ears and eyes, gonna know that that car is not a sleeper, lol.

Here is some good reading.
http://forums.corral.net/forums/svt-dohc/1375007-dss-vs-mmr-5-3-w-boss-block-98-cobra.html

I wasn't really thinking about the sound part, just the external appearance. You gotta admit though, it would probably sound pretty bad ass.

Thanks for the link, that's a pretty similar idea, great reference. I thought the Boss block was the same deck height as the romeo/windsor blocks, just more room for a larger bore. It's not a 5.4L block (which does have a taller deck height than the 4.6L), so why would I need a new hood? I also didn't see any mention of that in the corral post.

If the hood is absolutely necessary, I guess I could always just bore/stroke the romeo to a 5.0L and call it a day. I'm losing cubes, but it would save me some money.

I wasn't really thinking about the sound part, just the external appearance. You gotta admit though, it would probably sound pretty bad ass.

Thanks for the link, that's a pretty similar idea, great reference. I thought the Boss block was the same deck height as the romeo/windsor blocks, just more room for a larger bore. It's not a 5.4L block (which does have a taller deck height than the 4.6L), so why would I need a new hood? I also didn't see any mention of that in the corral post.

If the hood is absolutely necessary, I guess I could always just bore/stroke the romeo to a 5.0L and call it a day. I'm losing cubes, but it would save me some money.

You won't unless you're running a spacer under the 6061 elbow.

Yeah dude; there's nothing sleeper about that. haha
IMO a sleeper would be whipple'd 2v that fit under the factory hood. Some 3" Flowmaster 70 series mufflers, and a very mild blower cam.

To the point it sounds quite stock-ish at idle.

My buddy had a malibu with those 70 series mufflers. The car made 500hp and sounded like nothing more than a stock truck engine. Now that was a sleeper!

I don't want to run a blower. I can't stand the way they sound... to whiny.

I'll give the cams some thought, and maybe look at a complete exhaust system too.

All good ideas. Thanks.

srsly128625168774424970.jpg

Reactions: 3 users