This aint going to work... Easiest and Cheapest Way to 400 Hp.

Grits

SEE!! I do have a neck!
Founding Member
Aug 25, 2000
Colorado Springs, CO
I love my car.. (2004 GT) i like the sleeker look of the 04 comapred to the 05... heres the thing. I see all these cars coming out with 340,350 400 horses now.. And i want to compete.. reliably... I been in iraq for awhile, and got some money saved, but whats the best route for a reliable 400 horses.. without going crazy? I was thinking of just doing a vortech sq, but i wanting alittle more power than that.. Maybe a vortech with a P-51? or... Ideas? thanks.. Id like to do it asreliably as possible, so keep that in mind.

Liberty or death

• Sponsors (?)

well from what i hear our (i have a 2004 GT also) stock internals are very weak and they cannot handle much more than the 400 HP mark before they blow up so keep that in mind. So if you are looking to get into the high 300 or 400 mark and want to make sure that you dont kill your stang then you might want to think about forged internals.

is your car stock? auto or 5 spd? about how much do you have to spend? will you do the work yourself or pay a shop to do it? How many miles does your car have?

Grits said:
I love my car.. (2004 GT) i like the sleeker look of the 04 comapred to the 05... heres the thing. I see all these cars coming out with 340,350 400 horses now.. And i want to compete.. reliably... I been in iraq for awhile, and got some money saved, but whats the best route for a reliable 400 horses.. without going crazy? I was thinking of just doing a vortech sq, but i wanting alittle more power than that.. Maybe a vortech with a P-51? or... Ideas? thanks.. Id like to do it asreliably as possible, so keep that in mind.

Liberty or death
Yeah shoot their tires out then you'll win will be cheap until you get caught. But to answer your ? Forge bottom end then FI if funds are not a real factor look at doing turbo's. With the turbo's you could keep the boost down for normal driving and turn it up to stomp some a$$. However I think the biggest limiting factor you'll see is the returnless fuel system. I was told 450rwhp-500rwhp is the max on them then you need to convert to a return style. :shrug: Or if you just want the little extra for at the track n2o with all the normal bolton's and a 100hp shot you should be around 370-400hp at the crank which should do a good job of leveling up the playing field.

you can make plenty more HP that 500 with returnless fuel systems... look at the 03-04 Cobras as proof.

making 400hp out of a 04 was easy. I did it with a Procharger and supporting fuel system and intake mods. a good tune will go a long way from a longevity standpoint. I have had my blower on since last year and am currently at 430rwhp with no ill effects as of yet. if you want the power reliable you should definately put forged internals in the motor then do the blower. the stock plastic intake can take you well into the 500hp range so buying a P51 at their 1400 price is a waste of money IMO. you could use that cash for longtubes, xpipe and catback.

Yea.. cars stock.. 5 spd, 24,000 miles, Im not a mechanic, id like to do as much of the work myself if possible.. ive been in the game awhile. Not a pro by any means.

Money... 4 - 5 Large... I wanna keep a good chunk towards my eventual retirement. Im not letting my hobby put me in the poor house.

Thanks for the opinions... keep em coming.

With the vertech SQ add a cooler, perferabilty a water to air. This will put you at 400 rwhp with a safe tune. I would not go over 400hp. You can add a snow water injection with the cooler to add an extra layer of safety, of couse the tune is very important. I have a snow water injection, but it is under tuned, for safety. See my sig.
-----------------------------------
3X black premium 2k1 GT 5 speed ragtop
Drive Train:
FMS 3.73 gears, Vortech SQ, AFM powerpipe, FMS aluminum D/S, Steeda shifter, 80 mm MAF, Steeda Fuel pump, SnowPerformance water injecton, BBK 75MM TB, C&L plenum, SCT chip
Wheels/Tires: 10th anniversary Cobra, Nitto ZR 275 x 40 x17
Suspension:
TKO 5 way (years 87 to 93 for 94+ lowered stangs), Vert Eibach Pro Springs, offset rack bushings, Steeda c/c plates, Steeda subframes w/cross brace, Steeda X2 balljoints and bumpsteer
Interior:
99 Mustang A-pillar covers, Autometer A-Pillar gauge pod, Autometer FP and boost gauges, 03 Cobra headrest
Exchaust:
Steeda catback , MRT H-pipe with cats
RWHP/360 RWTQ/360 SAE corrected
Very conserative tune.

Read my sig and you will see what it takes to make 400+RWHP with a very mild tune. Keep in mind though you will not be doing this with a supercharger for 4-5k, probably have to go with N2O. Also when spending keep in mind that you have to get that power to the ground and a good suspension setup is not cheap. Just have a plan and buy parts that fit with your plan.

Yea.. im thinking just doing the Supercharger with an intercooler...

Is the procharger a reliable unit? its realitively inexpensive compared, im thinking i saw it for $3399 or such.. still have money left over for exaust and gears...

Reccomendations?