those with manual rack and pinions...

mootang

Dec 5, 2004
texas
How do you like them and would you recomend them for a stang that will still get plenty of street duty? Also i was looking and it looks like you can only get a 20:1 ratio, is that right?

thanks,
scott

• Sponsors (?)

also i know some people run a short belt at the track to bypass the power steering but when my car used to throw the belt i was lucky to turn the wheel 2 inches and that was a struggle. so how are people able to bypass it at the track and its just fine?

anybody else?
i don't mind a little extra effort with the steering. I think it will be worth the weight loss and cleaner engine bay but i just wanted to hear from some that have made the swap.

thanks,
scott

I have an '82 mercury capri that has a flamning river manual rack. But, I only race this car. I don't get out on the street with it very much. It's a 15:1 rack. If the car is moving its fine to steer, no problem. Stopped is when it is a pain sometimes. Not sure how much weight I saved. Didn't weigh old parts. Was a plus not to have another acc. on the belt... Thats just my 2 cents. Your right on cleaning the engine compartment though, helped there, less brackets and hoses etc.