Throttle body cleaning

dz01

Mar 31, 2005
Massachusetts
So I have an 05 with CAI and a 93 tune. Cars runs great. Gas mileage sucks. I did the plugs, fuel filter, air filter and oil over the winter. No change. Figured I’d clean the MAF (didn’t seem dirty) and the TB which was really dirty. Had a pretty thick carbon ring.

I pull TB off and carefully cleaned with TB cleaner moving butterflies by hand. Reinstalled and started car. As I suspected it would I got a hanging idle and higher than normal idle. I tried the key on and depress pedal process a few times and that did t work. I then pulled the negative cable off the battery and used a jumper wire from that cable to the positive one. That seemed to have worked and reset TB.

I still notice the RPMs might hang a little and it revs higher on cold start for a short time. Maybe this is in my head but does it take some driving to smooth out? Seems like the TB must be able to learn as you drive since mine was so dirty but ran pretty good.

Should I check to see if my tune is still present? Or maybe just put more miles on it?

• Sponsors (?)

Your tune will remain after a reset. I perform a reset many times because I have a battery disconnect switch I use when parking the car for an extended period of time.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks. Speaking of tunes, is the SCT 93 tune decent?
My 2007 Mustang came with a tune from Steeda. Where I live, we have emission inspections and this tune doesn't use the post cat O2 sensors and won't pass the emission test. I ended up buying a SCT Livewire tuner and used the tunes that came with it. I can pick from 87, 91 and 93 octane tunes. There is a noticeable difference between them and I use the 93 tune. I think it is slightly better than the Steeda tune that came with the car from the dealer in 2007. The SCT tune will pass emissions so I just leave it in. If you want to get the best results then get a custom dyno tune since this will account for the variations of each vehicle and take full advantage of all the mods that are in place. IMO, the more mods that are in place, the more benefit from a custom tune. If a car is mostly stock, with a CAI, cat-back exhaust etc. then a canned tune is good enough.