Throttle Body Question!!

mo_dingo

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Aug 26, 2003
Tucson, AZ
95 Mustang GT

My Idle Air control valve took a dump on me recently. It bolts up to the throttle body, allowing air to enter the engine when the butterfly valve is closed (at idle). Now my car idles at 2000-2600 rpm's!

My question is, I have heard that our car shares the same intake as a 92 (ish) thunderbird. Would we have the same throttle body also? If so, what year span has the same throttle body.

The 93 & 96 GT mustangs have different IAC valves. The 94-95 V6 mustangs are different also. So I can't use theirs. No junkyard in Tucson has a 94-95 5.0 mustang.

I don't want to pay $70 for this part. A starter or essential part, I would. But this part is too much money for my blood.

Your input is appreciated!
Scott

• Sponsors (?)

I think the IAC on the Bird is the same. Im not positive though. You can control your idle somewhat be removing the grey cap on the TB and turning that screw clockwise until the idle slows down. If the IAC is wide open you may have to turn the screw until it is almost completely closed. This way the car will be driveable until you get a new IAC. You may have to feather the gas a little to start the car though.

Thanks for the info S/CBlack95GT, my car was having stalling problems when its hot so I turned the idle up a little bit and hopefully that'll help my stalling problem. It idles pretty steadly now and used to surge badly before.

1105 said:
Thanks for the info S/CBlack95GT, my car was having stalling problems when its hot so I turned the idle up a little bit and hopefully that'll help my stalling problem. It idles pretty steadly now and used to surge badly before.

S/CBlack95GT,

What does that screw exactly do? Does it close some manual valve? Will it only affect the amount of air coming at idle speeds? Will it affect the amount of air coming in once the butterfly opens (non-idle speeds)?

Thanks!!!
Scott