Throttle Position Sensor

toyman

10 Year Member
Jul 19, 2007
Vernon BC
In a recent post Stanger007 posted this link "http://www.mustang-tech.org/wiki/94-95_Mustangs_Electrical_Throttle_Position_Sensor" that indicated so long as the signal was between .48v and 1.22v there was no need to adjust/replace the TPS. What I'm wondering though, if this is the range one can expect to see on a new TPS or is a value of above 1v indicative of the sensor beginng to fail. I measured mine today and it ranged from 1.142v to 1.155v. Most sources indicate a range of .5v -1v as being okay with .98v-.99v as being ideal. Does this mean mine is going bad?

• Sponsors (?)

IMHO, there's no correlation between the reading and the sensor's condition. Ford simply knew the range of tolerances on the sensors and accomodates them into the adaptive ranging. Ratcheting allows it to baseline upon start-up anyhow. And if it can't, it should throw a code.

Like JT said, the position - so long as it is within the limits - is a-ok. Perhaps your throttlebody set screw is turned in a ways.

Regardless, so long as you do not have a code I would not bother with it.

My TPS is at 1.03v when the TB is set to factory spec and has been since I bought the car.

Wes

Thanks for the input. I'll just forget about it and move onto other things. Besides, it appears that to get at those screws I'd have to remove a whole bunch of stuff first.

I can tell you that many times more than once over the years ...............

I've seen peeps hose up :(
tps screw heads
tb tps screw threads
tps sensors
and
who knows what :crazy:

When they attempted to adjust something that needed no adjustment

Leave well enough alone if it is in range ;)

Grady