Thumper Heads vs Trickflow/AFR

Daniel50

Mar 30, 2005
Discovery Bay, CA
What would make the most power and best times.

Setup 1: Thumper Heads, Edelbrock Performer Intake, E-Cam

Setup 2: Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Heads, Track Heat Intake, Trickflow Stage 1 cam

Setup 3: AFR 165 Heads, Performer Intake, E-Cam

i would like to go with the thumper heads cuz of the price, but i want to get a good setup where i can trap around 110 and run 12's

• Sponsors (?)

The AFR/TFS combo will make more power, but will also cost a lot more. I ran thumper's for two years and my car ran hard. Since the rings let too much blowbye through, I sold them and bought some TFS's. I also plan on more cubes.

90mustangGT said:
The AFR/TFS combo will make more power, but will also cost a lot more. I ran thumper's for two years and my car ran hard. Since the rings let too much blowbye through, I sold them and bought some TFS's. I also plan on more cubes.

Could you elaborate on this? I don't exactly understand what blowbye is.

MustangMulch said:

Oil getting sucked past the rings and burning in the combustion chamber. Ever see cars shooting out blue smoke when they get on it? Some cars are even worse and do it at idle and when they are driving. Stinks like shiit!

My choice is set up 2 with an rpm intake and a custom grind cam. :nice:

maverick0716 said:
Definitly won't be running 110 mph with the thumper heads. The AFR heads could get you close with the right intake and cam.

Never say never:

Math302HO (50Tech.com & Corral) 87 Notch,5spd,3:73 gear,Flowtech long tubes,Off road Xpipe,pulleys, stock cam retarded 4°,stock upper intake,tmoss ported lower intake,Ported E7 heads with 1.90 & 1.60
valves - race weight of 3,100#.

Before heads/intake best was 13.7@102 mph.
After best with belt [email protected].
After best with short belt [email protected] mph.

The thumper heads are a LOT of bang for the buck. One of the best return on investment and everything bolts right up. Even cally evil smog techs can't mess with you cause they are, after all, the factory castings.

I do have to say, I just joined the AFR crowd. When the box arrived via fedex and I signed and the driver handed me the box, I was expecting to fall over backwards. Oh, ok, it's pretty light. Must be just one head. I stood there waiting for him to get the box with the other head out of the truck. I see him run back and to my surprise, he drives off. Did I get one head?!?!? I open the box. Damn kid. Both heads. Aluminum heads are LIGHT!!!

Nothing like losing 50 pounds off the front. Dude.....get some thumper-FR's . I wonder what the man could do to some afr 165's ;)

Grn92LX said:
Oil getting sucked past the rings and burning in the combustion chamber. Ever see cars shooting out blue smoke when they get on it? Some cars are even worse and do it at idle and when they are driving. Stinks like shiit!

So is this common with the Thumper heads? or does it happen with other heads too?

I ran a set of Thumpers a couples years ago on my old coupe. With an E-Cam and cobra intake it was only good for 12.80's @ 106 on BFG DR's. Altitude corrected that's like 12.40's @ 109. Considering the amount of suspension and other junk that car had that's nothing to brag about. Anyway, if money is tight Thumpers work great. However, if you have the money no there's no sense in buying them when you could get AFR's or TFS's. I like combo #2.

Blowby isn't directly related to any kind of heads. It usually occurs on higher mileage engines as the rings wear down. Some heads give you increased compression which can make blowby worse...

I say go with AFR 165's (or TW's) with a custom cam...keep the intake if you like the lowerend throttle response. I have the Performer and love it:nice:

Compare the ports and valves on the E7TEs to a TFS or AFR head and you will see why they make so much more power. I bought TFS's because of the canted valve angles, 2.02 intake valves, patented chambers, and the price. Best head on the market, all things considered!

are thumper heads the same as E7's, stock heads just ported and polished w/ new springs /valves etc? what EXACTLY are they, tired of hearin the term and not be sure of it.... gotta know.... because its important to my combo as well as the guy running this thread i guess. thanks!!!!!!
Paul Perreca

tmoss said:
Never say never:

Math302HO (50Tech.com & Corral) 87 Notch,5spd,3:73 gear,Flowtech long tubes,Off road Xpipe,pulleys, stock cam retarded 4°,stock upper intake,tmoss ported lower intake,Ported E7 heads with 1.90 & 1.60
valves - race weight of 3,100#.~ best with short belt [email protected] mph.

For those that do not read carefully, those ported E7's were not Thumpers.

QDRHRSE said:
I ran a set of Thumpers a couples years ago on my old coupe. With an E-Cam and cobra intake it was only good for 12.80's @ 106 on BFG DR's. Altitude corrected that's like 12.40's @ 109. Considering the amount of suspension and other junk that car had that's nothing to brag about. Anyway, if money is tight Thumpers work great. However, if you have the money no there's no sense in buying them when you could get AFR's or TFS's. I like combo #2.

You must run at 3500'?
Did you run n/a?
If so, that's the fastest thumper headed car I've heard of... and almost 2/10ths faster than my stock motor (cam/intakes/heads), stock suspension full weight combo... which corrects to 12.6's @ 106.
I'm not poking at you at all, just agree'n that the thumpers didn't seem to do much if that car had suspension, and the cam intake...

MustangMulch said:
Grn92LX said:

90mustangGT said:
I ran thumper's for two years and my car ran hard. Since the rings let too much blowbye through, I sold them and bought some TFS's.
I think it’s important to note that you chose to upgrade the heads while you had the engine apart from a performance aspect, not because there was a problem with the Thumper heads. You kind of made it sound like the Thumper heads were to blame for your blow-by in your initial post.

EDIT
Nevermind....I see that it was cleared up. Guess I should have kept reading to the bottom of the thread before posting. :D

MustangMulch said:
So is this common with the Thumper heads? or does it happen with other heads too?

Heads have nothing to do with blow by. Ring seal is what does.

I think it’s important to note that you chose to upgrade the heads while you had the engine apart from a performance aspect, not because there was a problem with the Thumper heads. You kind of made it sound like the Thumper heads were to blame for your blow-by in your initial post.

I never said thumper heads cause blow by. I don't have blow by and I don't have thumper heads. You must have misquoted me. heads don't cause blow by.

Grn92LX said:
I never said thumper heads cause blow by. I don't have blow by and I don't have thumper heads. You must have misquoted me. heads don't cause blow by.
Sorry, I wasn't quoting you, It was 90mustangGT's post I quoted. I just put them in the wrong order.:doh:

EDIT

Now Fixed. Boy, am I having an off day. :nonono: