Time to update the 68

BoostedmaxPSI

Apr 30, 2003
Keller, TX
Ok, It's time to update the brakes, suspension, steering and wheels on the '68 with some of the good stuff.

I went to Unique Performance today to have them look at my '68 and help identify some weak areas. We looked at a completely new front end with rack and pinion steering, ANY THOUGHTS on their gear? Can I get the same stuff cheaper? Do need all of the tubular/coil over stuff they sell?

For brakes I'm looking at a newer Cobra 13" conversion. My '68 currently has drums, will need to change the spindles to allow for the new disk setup?

Finally I stuffed some 17" Bullitt wheels on today to see how the car would look with newer style rims. My thoughts are these rims or the Edelbrock 454's

what do you guys/gals think about the Bullitts on my '68?

http://community.webshots.com/user/boostedmaxPSI

FS

• Sponsors (?)

what do you want from this car? what is it going to be? street car? daily driver? race car? toy? street/strip machine? each has its own unique requirements, and compromises. remember that car building is an excersize in compromise. you trade ride for handling, you trade horsepower for fuel efficiency, you trade horsepower for drivability.

This is strickly a cruizer :D No need for speed in this one. My goals are merely to make it handle and stop better.

As for the ride height that will be addressed with the suspension kit, I agree it needs to come down in the front about 2-3 inches. Clearence is fine with the use of spacers. The tires are Nitto 555 275 in the rear and 255 up front. I will probably move the 255 to the rear and put 235's up front.

FS

You read my mind! I think that's the direction I will take. As for the Bullitt wheels. I took the '68 out for a road test and with the wheel spacers there's still fitment issues with the correct backspacing.

...looks like I need wheels a little more specific for this car.

FS

If you like the style of the Bullitt wheels, they are a copy of American Racing Torque Thrust D's, one of the original mag wheels available. They still make them in all kind of sizes, you could probably get them in a size that would fit better and give less clearance problems on your car, also keeping the classic look! I always loved the chrome Cragar S/S rims myself, but Torque Thrusts would be my second choice on my 65.