Timing 93lx 5.0

I have a 93 lx foxbody with the 5.0 that i had just rebuilt. Its been bored out to a 306 with stock crank and piston rods. Has flat top pistons, comp cams 520 lift cam, comp cams hi-tech pushrods, roller rockers, 351 w heads with exhaust side cleaned up, long tube headers, bigger throttle body, 35lb injectors, edelbrock rpm upper and lower intake, a sct chip, and it had the timing gears instead of the chain. Im trying to start it up now and its turning over but i cant seem to get them timing set right amd i have pulled the timing cover to make sure the gears are set right. It backfires through the intake so i retarded the timing a tooth and it did it again so i moved it another tooth and then it backfired through the exhaust. Then i moved foward 2 teeth back to where i started and the went 180 and did the same and the same results. I have no other ideas. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

welcome. You will find the timing gears extremely noisy. When you set them up, did you make sure to align the timing marks on both gears and that #1 was TDC on compression?

what is your firing order? What is your ignition system comprised of.

Never heard of 35 # injectors for Ford.. What color are they.

Yes i set the timing gears at tdc on #1 and my firing order i got off of a american muscle video 13726548. Ignition i have a starter solenoid and then msd blaster tfi coil pack. And thats what the guy told me when i bought they are red.

How to determine the firing order:

Remove the #1 & #3 spark plugs. Put your finger in #1 spark plug hole. Crank the engine over until you feel compression on #1 cylinder. Slowly turn the engine until the TDC mark and the timing pointer line up. Mark TDC on the balancer with chalk or paint. Put your finger in #3 spark plug hole and crank the engine 90 degrees. You should feel pressure trying to blow past your finger. If you do not feel pressure, repeat the process again. If you feel pressure, it is a HO engine.

No pressure the second time, remove spark plug #5. Put your finger in #1 spark plug hole. Crank the engine over until you feel compression on #1 cylinder. Put your finger in #5 spark plug hole and crank the engine 90 degrees. If you feel pressure now, the engine is not a HO model, no matter what it says on the engine.

Using a small carpenter or machinist square to mark the harmonic balancer off into 90 degree sections may be helpful here.

A 15/16 deep socket & breaker bar or ratchet may be used to turn the engine.

The HO firing order is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8.
Non HO firing order is 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8
attachment.php

Reactions: 1 user