Timing Chain and Water Pump Help

CorbinGT

Sep 3, 2011
Detroit
Hello all. I have a 95 GT Convertible. Recently she has been running a bit hot, and seems to lose coolant. I took her in and the shop said I need to replace my water pump and timing chain and cover. This seems legitimate to me...however I'm a bit lost on what to use to replace them with. I was looking at Ford Racing Mustang Water Pump w/ Timing Cover (94-95 5.0L) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping! for my water pump and Ford Racing Mustang Timing Chain Set with Steel Sprocket (79-95 5.0L/5.8L) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping! for my chain. Now, is it a good idea to use the water pump and timing chain cover combo? Or would it be better to have two separate parts? And as for the timing chain it says the material for the camshaft is steel and I know my cam is steel, but I have no idea what my crank is made of. The part that hooks up to the crank is made of iron. Will this be acceptable?

Thanks for your input - Corbin V

Attachments

• IMG_0994.jpg
    IMG_0994.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 74
  • Sponsors (?)

That price on the water pump and timing cover together is a steel. I remember paying that much for just the timing cover before. Unfortunately the timing chain set is out of stock when you click on it. It's also a little bit pricy. You can get the Motorcraft double roller from Summit for about $65. It's a -A302, instead of a -B302. I wouldn't be surprised if American Muscle has it for around the same price.

Kurt

So that is a good deal huh? Okay well I'll go for that water pump combo then thanks. As for the Chain I've seen that part for sale on other sites, my main concern is the material of the crank can I use that part with the iron connecting to the crank? -Thanks

That is definately a good price on the timing cover and water pump. The timing chain is not an issue. I would rather see you go with the -A302 set, because it is more than sufficient and a better price. That's the kit I use on my Mustang with a.600" lift roller cam and never had an issue.

Kurt

This is the one I use. The only real difference is that the more expensive one has steel gears instead of iron ones. After 85,000 miles there was no noticable wear on my iron gears. I just replaced the chain and put the old gears on the new engine. I'm sure American Muscle sells this one. To be honest, their website isn't that great, and it's hard to find stuff on there.

Ford Racing M-6268-A302 - Ford Racing Timing Chain Sets - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Kurt

Okay well your experience first hand clears it all up for me. Thanks for the help. I'll probably still go with the partly steel one, but now I have peace of mind. Thanks again. The only thing about americanmuscle is that I know a code that can get me free 2-day shipping when I order my parts, but since its out of stock I'll buy from summit.

Sounds like sound logic. The best part of buying a new cover like that is the front main seal is already pressed in. If that seal just gets a hair out of round, it requires a lot of curse words to put in. If you end up having to do it with the cover on the engine, it's even worse. I remember having to press one in with a harmonic balancer install tool. A stock strut mount for a foxbody is apparently the exact diameter of the seal, and is absolutely necessary to press that seal in.

Kurt