Timing Problem

5.0ttops87

Nov 12, 2016
Would a bad pickup allow the car to run but not allow a timing light to work properly? I have a timing light that works fine on my grand prix (97 se 3.8l) ... i hooked it up to the car to test the timing light and it worked no problem. But my fox wont show a time no matter what i do(or rpm)... and its running rich as hell (fowling plugs).. just curious what you guys think.

• Sponsors (?)

Would a bad pickup allow the car to run but not allow a timing light to work properly? I have a timing light that works fine on my grand prix (97 se 3.8l) ... i hooked it up to the car to test the timing light and it worked no problem. But my fox wont show a time no matter what i do(or rpm)... and its running rich as hell (fowling plugs).. just curious what you guys think.
Is the light just not flashing or is it that you can't see the timing marks? The timing light uses the current passing to the spark plug to trigger the flash. If the engine is running and the timing light is hooked up right, it will flash unless there is no current to that plug.

Is the light just not flashing or is it that you can't see the timing marks? The timing light uses the current passing to the spark plug to trigger the flash. If the engine is running and the timing light is hooked up right, it will flash unless there is no current to that plug.

Sorry- can't see any flashing.. i hooked it up to a couple different wires and seen nothing... I am confused on how its running if no spark passing lol it does sound quite a bit more rough at idle. But car is deffinitely running rich

Sorry- can't see any flashing.. i hooked it up to a couple different wires and seen nothing... I am confused on how its running if no spark passing lol it does sound quite a bit more rough at idle. But car is deffinitely running rich
If it works on the other car and you immediately try it on this car and you're not getting a flash I would have to conclude that some how you're not hooking it up correctly on this car. I can't see any other reason it wouldn't work.

Anyone else have any ideas?

What brand wires are you running? Maybe the timing light clamp isn't seeing the voltage?

Put the clamp on the coil wire. Should be constant on
That thought ran through my mind as well but I've seen super insulated racing wires cause a timing light to trigger.

If the light trigger is the clamp on type, check for a directional arrow and if one exists make sure that the arrow points towards the spark plug. Also, make sure the clamp closes completely.

That thought ran through my mind as well but I've seen super insulated racing wires cause a timing light to trigger.

If the light trigger is the clamp on type, check for a directional arrow and if one exists make sure that the arrow points towards the spark plug. Also, make sure the clamp closes completely.
Okay I'll give this a shot along with coil if that makes no difference thanks for suggestions.

What brand wires are you running? Maybe the timing light clamp isn't seeing the voltage?

Put the clamp on the coil wire. Should be constant on

I used the coil wire and it was flashing constantly and i guess the 5-8 (driver side plugs) all show a spark enough for the light but the passenger side plugs (1-4) do not show ... no matter what way i hook the light up I get nothing out of it..? Really freaking weird.. any other suggestions? I know the thing is running pig rich.. sure as hell smells like it (I put new lifters in and was considering the rockers might have gotten too tight when i torqued them down.. but I wouldn't imagine it'd play a role in the spark.. and engine turns fine..