Timing Problems

Mfox89

Sep 20, 2016
Georgia
Back again..i have an 89 mustang lx and im having this popping noise coming from my intake. I have edl performer heads, edl upper/lower intake, e303 cam for hyd roller lifters, harland sharp roller rockers. I had stock maf and small aftermarket air filter and it didnt have any popping coming from intake with that setup until i swapped to a 76mm maf and bigger air filter. It mainly pops when its cold and it also does it when i start off in 1st etc..going up a hill. Higher rpms it will do just fine. I took it to shop and realized my computer isnt advancing my timing so the guy set initial timing to 21 and told me to run it like that with SPOUT out but it still pops from intake..could my timing not advancing cause this popping noise with the bigger maf? Thanks for any input.

• Sponsors (?)

Max timing with the SPOUT out is 14°

There may be problems that are preventing the timing from advancing properly. Dump the codes to find them.

Dump codes sticky

Look at the top of the 5.0 Tech forum where the sticky threads are posted. One of them is how to dump the computer codes. Codes may be present even if the CEL (Check Engine Light) isn’t on. You don’t need a code reader or scanner – all you need is a paper clip, or if your lady friend has a hair pin, that will do the job.
I highly suggest that you read it and follow the instructions to dump the codes. http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/how-to-pull-codes-from-eec4.889006/

Max timing with the SPOUT out is 14°

There may be problems that are preventing the timing from advancing properly. Dump the codes to find them.

Dump codes sticky

Look at the top of the 5.0 Tech forum where the sticky threads are posted. One of them is how to dump the computer codes. Codes may be present even if the CEL (Check Engine Light) isn’t on. You don’t need a code reader or scanner – all you need is a paper clip, or if your lady friend has a hair pin, that will do the job.
I highly suggest that you read it and follow the instructions to dump the codes. http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/how-to-pull-codes-from-eec4.889006/

Ok i will look into that. Oh and i have 24lb injectors by the way. With the initial timing set at 15 and plug spout back in, the timing doesnt advance..guy told me to replace computer.

Pull the codes....

Timing advance is controlled by the computer through info it sees from several sensors. It could be as simple as an engine coolant temp sensor or a TFI module.

Pull the codes....

Timing advance is controlled by the computer through info it sees from several sensors. It could be as simple as an engine coolant temp sensor or a TFI module.

I haven't had chance to check codes yet but the other day i did try cleaning that used maf i bought and after cleaning it, i took it down the road and immediately starting popping like crazy so i had to limp it home. I did let dry a few hours after cleaning it before i drove it.