Timing question

gungfusemaj

Dec 13, 2003
Bradenton Fl
On a 87 Gt for timing you should unplug that plug on the side of the distributor and time it TDC and when you plug it back in it should advance 10 degree's, right????????? The reason I am asking is because I having a slight surge when I punch it either from dead stop, or about cruising speed in 3rd it sometimes backfire's {just a little} I HAVE A AOD Tranny. also if I floor it when I get to third gear if I let off just a cooder hair's worth it jump's down a gear tries to anyway. I just recently added a BBk TB and trickflow Manifold Kit everything is tip top TPS voltage and So on Idle's fine . :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Run out and buy a timing light. Hook up the light per directions. Remove the spout connector at distributor. loosen distributor hold down bracket. Aim light at harmonic balancer with car running. You will notice small nothes. Turn distributor clock wise till about 14*. tighten down distributor and plug spout back in.

SYLENTBUTVYLENT said:
Run out and buy a timing light. Hook up the light per directions. Remove the spout connector at distributor. loosen distributor hold down bracket. Aim light at harmonic balancer with car running. You will notice small nothes. Turn distributor clock wise till about 14*. tighten down distributor and plug spout back in.

I do have a timing light and my question is when you plug the spout back in it jump about 10 degrees ahead so.......when you say 14 degrees are you talking below or above TDC All the book's say different not that I don't trust what your saying Please be a little clearer. :nice:

gungfusemaj said:
I do have a timing light and my question is when you plug the spout back in it jump about 10 degrees ahead so.......when you say 14 degrees are you talking below or above TDC All the book's say different not that I don't trust what your saying Please be a little clearer. :nice:
What sylentbutvylent is saying is; when you unplug the spout connector you are now ready to set the base timing. Set it at 14 degrees. After you have made your adjustment and tighten the distributor hold down, plug in the spout connector and yes at this time you will see the timing advance past where your base timing was set. This is normal. :nice:

Since you found your answer you were looking for, I'll think I'll hijack it to ask another timming question.

What strain on the engine does advancing the timming 14 dgrees do, heard rumors it will run hotter, is this true?

i was running 20 degrees advance and i know it sounds insane and impossible but its true. No my dampener was not messed up or offset, everything was true. Maybe it has something to do with my 9:1 comp ratio