Tint Removal

I bought my car used, and it came with the legal tint limit of 35% which to me isn't dark enough. I would prefer to have either 5% or 20%. That being said, I can remove the door and small window tint with no problems. However, how do I saftely remove the back window tint without damaging the rear window defroster?

I was going to see if they could just put a tint on top of the existing tint tint so that it does not have to be removed at all, but wanted to get all of your opinions first.

Thanks guys.

Nick

• Sponsors (?)

you can layer tint, but it is best to replace it. you may have seen some cars with flames in the tint that have different shades. that is done with multiple layers of tint.

Police here would love you. They really crack down on illegal tints, and for good reason. A police office was killed in the area by someone hiding behind dark tint.
Most shops won't tint it beyond the legal limit.

I bought my car used, and it came with the legal tint limit of 35% which to me isn't dark enough. I would prefer to have either 5% or 20%. That being said, I can remove the door and small window tint with no problems. However, how do I saftely remove the back window tint without damaging the rear window defroster?

I was going to see if they could just put a tint on top of the existing tint tint so that it does not have to be removed at all, but wanted to get all of your opinions first.

Thanks guys.

Nick
i was in the exact same boat as you. i had 35% and wanted darker. the guy that did mine took my tint off the sides pretty easy with a steam machine. but he told me he wouldnt advise taking the tint off the back, because there a is good chance you might rip some of the defroster off even when using a steam machine. so i just layered the back. i put 15% on top of 35% which equals around 5%.

I found a shop that will do it. What they do is use a method with amonia. What you do is you spray down the back window with the amonia. Take a garbage bag, and cut it so that it is a sheet. Make sure the window is face the sun and it is warm out. Put the bag to the window so it sticks to it with using the amonia. Wait about 30 minutes and it should peel right off.

The guys been doign it for 15 years so I decided to just pay 30 bucks and let him do it. Save me the headache.

I am getting 5% all around. I took off my GTS light covers and he is using laminex on the tails, fronts and fogs. Lastly, he is putting a black strip on the top of my windshield.

I cannot WAIT! I've been waiting to do this black on black look for a long time. Pics will follow!

Most tint will just peel off. On the rear turn on your rear defrost to heat up the tint so that it will not rip the defroster strips off. Once you get the majority off use an ammonia based cleaner (Windex) to remove the residue.

I would like to know this also. I would like to tint my car but I won't do it b/c I hate the way after market tint looks after it drys out/discolors. I'm talking 10+ years.
A good tint won't discolor etc very easily. I've had mine on for 8yrs now and it still looks great!!! A common mistake is using windex or some other form of harsh cleaner, It turns the tint purple. Only use mild soap and water!!! The "Wal Mart" tints might not hold up as well, but most reputable shops use Quality tint.

I found a shop that will do it. What they do is use a method with amonia. What you do is you spray down the back window with the amonia. Take a garbage bag, and cut it so that it is a sheet. Make sure the window is face the sun and it is warm out. Put the bag to the window so it sticks to it with using the amonia. Wait about 30 minutes and it should peel right off.

The guys been doign it for 15 years so I decided to just pay 30 bucks and let him do it. Save me the headache.

I am getting 5% all around. I took off my GTS light covers and he is using laminex on the tails, fronts and fogs. Lastly, he is putting a black strip on the top of my windshield.

I cannot WAIT! I've been waiting to do this black on black look for a long time. Pics will follow!

Want to sell those tail light covers? I have been looking to get some used since the 50+ dollars for new ones doesn't tickle my fancy lol.