Tips for running at the track?

J.Cagle

Jul 20, 2009
SouthEast Kansas
I have never officially ran my car (or any other) down the drag strip. I am planning to run it friday night. I was just wondering if there were any tips I should know or do to the car before I go that may help my time. Like for instance. Do I run it with the traction control on or off? Do I push the rpms as close to redline as I can before I shift(5 speed) or should I shift sooner? Should I unbolt my stock mufflers and run with them off? Any help would be great! Thanks, Jared

• Sponsors (?)

Definitely turn off the traction control and try to launch it at 2500-3000 rpm. Depending on how well/badly the track is prepped, you will have to adjust your launch rpm accordingly.
Make sure you're slipping the clutch, because "if your tires are spinnin, you ain't winnin."
You don't wanna bog the car either, so do the see-saw and add some gas as you're clutching out.
So what you want is, launching at the highest possible rpm without losing traction.
When your 60ft times are under 2 seconds, you've done well. :)

Then when you get comfortable with the car and track, you can play with tire pressures.
(i.e. lower the rear tire pressures and raise the fronts)
Low pressure means more traction but also more rolling resistance and vice versa. And since our cars are RWD, you want to find a happy medium for the rears (usually about 30 or so) and I wouldn't go much higher than 40 for the fronts since the limit is 44 or so.

As for shift points, our cars peak out at about 5800 rpm, so shifting at redline should suffice.
And remember to leave the car in 3rd gear as you cross the stripe. 4th and 5th are no good if you have stock gears.

I would leave the mufflers on as there are little/no power gains to be had by removing the mufflers on a NA engine.
If you want to shed the weight, you can remove the spare tire and jack and the subwoofer if your car has the shaker 1000. You can also remove the front swaybar.

Have fun out there and good luck. Let us know how you did.

You should go around the water box if you are not running drag radials at least until you get a few passes under your belt street tire's can hold the water in the tread and make for a bad 60'.

If you're running your regular street tires, a big smoky burnout won't help any. If you find a need to have to do one (accidentally hit some water, gravel, etc.), just a quick dry hop to clean them off and you're all set. Icing your intake may help a bit, as will some weight loss. How much you decide to lose is up to you. You could lose the passenger seat and spare for relatively easy ways to shed some pounds. Running a bit low on gas saves some weight, too.

What exactly is icing the airbox? Is that actually putting a bag of ice in the airbox? :shrug: Im planning on only having a quarter tank of gas or so in the car when I get there. maybe less if possible. And I want to remove the spare. Ive been out tonight practicing my launch and still havent gotten the hang of it. I rev it to about 2,500 rpm and there was only once I was about to take off with out lighting up the tires:rolleyes: And, the shifting sucks in these things. Its about impossible to get from 2nd to 3rd very fast. And part is prob my fault as well,lol. I want everything to go smoothly my first time, plus I want to beat my friends nova. He ran 14.6 a while ago, but he has since put in a 4.10posi and ratchet shifter. I think he may have me beat:nonono:

Just relax have fun . Don't wait for the green light . After you are staged you have 1.5 seconds with three amber lights when you see the third amber light go on GO if you wait for the green you will only see taillights.It is quite an adrenaline rush nothing like stoplight racing at all. Try to get your car rolling not spinning wheels and you will have fun and good ETs.

icing the intake is just that, tossing a bag of ice on it to cool it all down. colder air = more dense = more power.

but, its your first time, just show up and race the car and have fun. don't go crazy on stuff like icing and crazy weight reduction stuff, you'll just distract yourself from the launch

in regards for removing the passenger seat.... isn't unplugging the wires in it (seatbelt, weight sensor, airbag stuff) bad for the status of your airbag and codes?

Ooh, didn't think about you guys having the advanced airbag systems that check for weight in the seats. Disregard that then, unless someone has better info than me. I'm an SN95 guy, so my experience is mostly limited to 5.0 cars...

Well, its official. I still need lots of practice taking off in my car!:rolleyes: My best time on the strip was a 14.6:nonono: I had a .08 reaction time, my 0-60ft time was 2.57, and my 1/4 mile speed was 99.01. I have trouble spinning my tires like crazy off the line. I know my 1/4 mile time was bad, but what about these other times? What do I need to work on, or look to improving? Thanks, Jared

Don't feel bad. Once you get that 60ft time down, your 1/4 mile time will come down with it, as long as you aren't missing any shifts.
Track prep and weather conditions have a lot to do with this as well. How were the other cars running? When you see Corvettes and Cobras running 14s, somethin's not right. Unless everyone there was a noob, but what are the chances.

How'd you fare on the 2-3 shift?
Were your rear tires overinflated by chance?

Well, its official. I still need lots of practice taking off in my car!:rolleyes: My best time on the strip was a 14.6:nonono: I had a .08 reaction time, my 0-60ft time was 2.57, and my 1/4 mile speed was 99.01. I have trouble spinning my tires like crazy off the line. I know my 1/4 mile time was bad, but what about these other times? What do I need to work on, or look to improving? Thanks, Jared

That 2.57 60' time really shows how bad you were spinning. Lower your tire pressure down to about 25 psi, don't launch so aggressively, keep the spinning to a minimum, and you'll get down to about 2.00. That will also get your 1/4 mile times down to about 14.00 - maybe even 13.90. Your 99 mph trap speed tells me your car will go 13.90 with some practice.

Drag racing isn't as easy as it looks, but it's fun improving every time you go.

Im pretty excited to go back to the track again. I want to get a 13.9 sooo bad. My buddy ran a 14.0 in his nova so Im shooting for better than that,lol. Even spinning off the line I smoked him off the line, but once I shifted to third he blew past me. He ran 101mph in the 1/4, so I think it'll be pretty close if I can get better at driving it. Also, I ran with no mufflers. You dont think that hurts the performance more than it helps do you? I also never shifted to 4th on the track. Would it be better or worse to use 4th gear?

Im pretty excited to go back to the track again. I want to get a 13.9 sooo bad. My buddy ran a 14.0 in his nova so Im shooting for better than that,lol. Even spinning off the line I smoked him off the line, but once I shifted to third he blew past me. He ran 101mph in the 1/4, so I think it'll be pretty close if I can get better at driving it. Also, I ran with no mufflers. You dont think that hurts the performance more than it helps do you? I also never shifted to 4th on the track. Would it be better or worse to use 4th gear?

Keep the mufflers on and only use 4th if you're hitting the redline in 4th before the end of the traps.

Does putting on an axle back axhaust system improve power or just sound? Or do I need to get diff cats, and x-pipe, and then mufflers? Also, where do I need to look for info on different throttle bodies? I want to get the most hp out of my car with out doing any major work to it YET.

its hard to get below a 2.0 60ft with stock tires, i ran friday and my best was a 2.18 60ft and i ran a 13.7, and i only have cai tune and exhaust, i launched around 3000 rpm and spun a pretty good bit, i would say about 2500 would be a good rpm to launch but i only got to run once so didnt get to play around with it too much

I've got pretty much all the bolt-ons except LT's. I also have mutha thumper cams, phasers. I picked up 12RWHP on the Dyno going from stock mufflers to no mufflers. learn how to launch it before you start going crazy with mods. I have to relearn the launch since I installed the SPEC Stage 2 clutch and 4.10's. Going to try this weekend