Tire Pressure For The Track

mat82284

Jul 31, 2003
im looking to go to the track soon and wanted to know what tire pressure i should be running? i have 295 in back and 265 in front the front at 18x9 and the back are 18x10. what tire pressure is best for the track? also what tire pressure is best for the street?

• Sponsors (?)

are you talking road or drag racing? cause those are kinda wide for front drag tyres. genenrally for street, you want to start at 32psi and moniter tyre wear, if they wear on both the outsides you are underinflated, if they wear on the inside you are overinflated.

32 in the front tires and 30 in the back for street........IMO i dont think letting the tire pressure down at the track helps much unless you have a preety tall sidewall!!!!!!!

Dropping tire pressure on regular radial tires at the track does bupkiss....it's been proven many, many times. In some cases it will even harm your 60-foot times. Run it within a few pounds of its designed rating and it will hook and run the best. :nice:

Run at the track with your same pressure you run on the street with street tires! I lowered my pressure to 25 and ran 13.9 then lowered to 20 and ran even slowerer ! I hooked fine at 33psi and I didn't burn out either! I have 315/35/17 sumatoma's(street tire) on the back!

Gearbanger 101 said:
Dropping tire pressure on regular radial tires at the track does bupkiss....it's been proven many, many times. In some cases it will even harm your 60-foot times. Run it within a few pounds of its designed rating and it will hook and run the best. :nice:

:stupid: . Unless you're running drag radials keep them the same. You could pump your fronts up to about 40psi to help decrease rolling resistance but I doubt you would actually see a difference. The most important thing is to keep them the same pressure, fronts the same as each other and backs the same as each other. So put the fronts up to 35 and the backs to 30.

If you're talking about an open track event, you will have to monitor your tires after a session once the tire temp is up. Then you need to check to see that you are using all your tread ( you can use chalk on the sidewalls or just eye it ) Every brand of tire is a little different also. I run lower 30' for the rear and middle to upper 30's in front using Toyo RA1's but I am still learning also.

Like some others said, run street radials at recommended pressure.
Do not do burnouts and stay out of the water. Maybe go up a couple of pounds on the front. If you really want better times at the track, get something lighter all the way around for the strip.