To Strip, Or Not To Strip.......

CarMichael Angelo

my rearend will smell so minty fresh,
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
The Monster has been painted one time since the factory applied the yellow that's on the car.

With a razorblade on a scraper handle, I can literally push that repaint right off the factory finish, and if I'm careful, do it w/o damaging the finish underneath.

I don't paint cars, but I can. It seems that every 4-5 years for the last 4 decades, I'm faced with having to paint some project car. That goes to say that the instances where the posted dilemma actually occur are very rare. Specifically on this car, I don't want to have to go through the ordeal of a complete strip to bare metal if I don't have to, but conversely, there is no way in hell I'll cheese out on doing it if there is potential to bite me in the ass at some point in the future.

If I can get away w/ scraping the poorly applied top coat off the factory base and working from there up, it seems to me that I'll save a buttload of time (both in stripping it down, and working it back to "paintable").

• Sponsors (?)

I seem to remember issues matching yellow paint a while back, but I think it was in the terminator forum. Nobody posts about those in here, right?

Reactions: 1 user
The problem with stripping, if you live in a humid climate like Mike does.. is flash rust. You'd have to do one panel at a time.. I've tried it and it's a real pita. If the factory paint is adhered well, I'd be inclined to knock the top off of it, use a GOOD sealer, and rock on.

I second Boosted's post. You'll need to etch the new work anyway. Might as well ensure any of the "new" old paint is gone and start with a sealed canvas afterward.

The problem with stripping, if you live in a humid climate like Mike does.. is flash rust. You'd have to do one panel at a time.. I've tried it and it's a real pita. If the factory paint is adhered well, I'd be inclined to knock the top off of it, use a GOOD sealer, and rock on.
THis seems to be the major hurdle when it comes to exposing any of the sheet metal down here. All of that unfinished rear sheet metal around the tail lights, and both quarters where they were stripped to allow me to body work in the new tail lights are now the same color as if I have applied red oxide primer.

And none of it has been exposed to anything but the air.