Tools for exhaust install

stangdude2000

Founding Member
Jun 23, 2001
Northern VA
As my previous post stated... I ordered SLP Loudmouths the other day. Despite building a small scale race car in college for the Formula SAE competition, this will actually be my first install on a real car. I also own no tools beyond screwdrivers, hammers, pliers, and one of those crappy toolsets that has the exchangable tools like a few sockets and different screwdriver heads.

I want to pick up the needed tools before the exhaust comes so that I'll be good to go when it gets here. What do I need? I've read that I'll 13mm and 15mm socket. Anything else? Are there clearance issues (aka do I need a flat/open socket, or can I get the standard rachet type)? Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Do you have a safe jack and jack stands? I am not familiar with the SLP Loudmouths, are these just axel back mufflers, or an entire exhaust system? If it's just axel back, you won't need a lot of tools besides what you already mentioned, a ratchet and maybe an extension. as far as I can tell. You will have to drop the hangers to remove/install the mufflers but that's a snap.

AND... you already know somebody (Ahem) with plenty of tools who has already offered to help you anytime you need it.

The sockets you will need are probably deep ones to clear the shank of the bolts. That is what I used. It was also helpful to have box wrenches for the hanger bolts. Piece of cake. JACK STANDS!!! Chalk the wheels! Parking brake on! ( I know this is obvious but just a reminder...stay safe)

Those will be very easy to install. +1 on the removing the hanger brackets with the stock mufflers. Then just slip them on the new pipes and bolt them back on. it is that easy:nice:
My Flows were somewhat tricky as I can't get the back bolts in for the rear hanger. The body of the muffler is maybe an inch under it. The Flows are much longer than the stockers which allowed plenty of access space to the hanger bolts.

Those will be very easy to install. +1 on the removing the hanger brackets with the stock mufflers. Then just slip them on the new pipes and bolt them back on. it is that easy:nice:
My Flows were somewhat tricky as I can't get the back bolts in for the rear hanger. The body of the muffler is maybe an inch under it. The Flows are much longer than the stockers which allowed plenty of access space to the hanger bolts.

What mufflers do you have? Flowmaster?

Should be a fairly simple install.... you shouldn't need much more than you've already mentioned.

But do yourself a favor, if you can find anyone to loan you the tools.... Just buy a full set of sockets and box/open end wrenches. You'll eventually need all of them, and it will be quite a bit cheaper to buy the set than to buy each piece as you need it.:nice:

Unfortunately it's not a great clip since it is inside a garage which will greatly affect the sound. You did however have it off to the side. Sound is truer when not directly behind the pipes:nice: