Top speed

FIRESCAPE

Oct 6, 2006
I just was wondering - Lets say you put a blower on a stock 4.6 mustang gt. How will that increase you top speed? Cause what I think is that the motor can spin only so many rpms and in the top gear it should be the same stock or with a supercharger. Im not getting why a car's top speed would be higher with a power adder on a stock motor.

• Sponsors (?)

the blower is going to give more hp which is what keeps u going, spining it faster and getting the wheels to go, but it wont be that much diff. it also has to do with ur comp. if u want more top speed u gotta tune the comp. and ur aerodynamics play a part too.

The hp required to push the car through the air above 100mph just about doubles so your top speed is limited by aerodynamics and power. Your engine will be revving higher in an effort to push the car through the air but getting nowhere (like travelling uphill where you rev harder but the car just gets slower as gravity overwhelms it). Same revs but more power and torque blunderbuss the car through the atmosphere where the barn door air pressure would otherwise overcome your puny 300hp. It's one reason the Plymouth Roadrunner grew a nosecone.

The Vortech Mustang hits about 170 I believe with a 550-odd hp tune.

+1 to both answers.

With a 3.55 rear gear, the S197 will theoretically hit almost 200 mph(and over 200 mph with a 3.31 gear) in 5th gear at redline in a vacuum on a level surface when working thru the numbers for engine rpm, gears, and the tire's actual loaded radius from the road surface to the wheel center.
But since we do not live in a vacuum, then air resistance has to be taken into account. And because the force from air resistance increases with the square of a vehicle's speed, there ain't no way that 300 hp is going to propel a blunt nosed S197 to 190-200 mph . This means that the S197's engine will not reach redline in 5th gear, which in turn means that there's extra rpm available to propel the car at a faster speed, but only if additional power is available.
Enter supercharging, turbocharging, and nitrous, all of which will supply this required additional power, and thus enable the S197 to reach higher rpm's in 5th gear and travel at a faster speeds than it can attain with its 300 hp N/A engine.

+1 to both answers.

With a 3.55 rear gear, the S197 will theoretically hit almost 200 mph(and over 200 mph with a 3.31 gear) in 5th gear at redline in a vacuum on a level surface when working thru the numbers for engine rpm, gears, and the tire's actual loaded radius from the road surface to the wheel center.
But since we do not live in a vacuum, then air resistance has to be taken into account. And because the force from air resistance increases with the square of a vehicle's speed, there ain't no way that 300 hp is going to propel a blunt nosed S197 to 190-200 mph . This means that the S197's engine will not reach redline in 5th gear, which in turn means that there's extra rpm available to propel the car at a faster speed, but only if additional power is available.
Enter supercharging, turbocharging, and nitrous, all of which will supply this required additional power, and thus enable the S197 to reach higher rpm's in 5th gear and travel at a faster speeds than it can attain with its 300 hp N/A engine.

Good answer! The reality is unless you car is already able to hit redline in top gear, you can go faster with more power. The extra power will help you fight the wind resistance and achieve a higher top speed. To hit 200 MPH you are going to need more then just a blower though. You will need a heck of a lot more power then just a bolt on blower kit.

+1 to both answers.

Sounds like an Enginerd answer to me! Well said.

http://forum.gtspirit.com/saleen-go-cannonballing-t3160.html

This saleen goes 200mph plus. I've seen the car in person and heard his 200mph story (said it didn't feel safe). It is a saleen extreme wit ha few goodies. It does have under car areodynamic work done. All yours for $80k. Interestingly enough it only has 550 engine hp.

Good answer! The reality is unless you car is already able to hit redline in top gear, you can go faster with more power. The extra power will help you fight the wind resistance and achieve a higher top speed. To hit 200 MPH you are going to need more then just a blower though. You will need a heck of a lot more power then just a bolt on blower kit.

I seem to remember an old magazine article about the windveil blue Vortech company car. Unless I'm mistaken; and the article was quite long ago, they said a stock '05 with just an intercooled vortech will pull 5th gear and it toped out at 193MPH. I've had mine to the rev limiter in fourth and it was all I ever want to do in a car without a full cage, ect.

Thanks for the kudos.
I struggled thru 4 long years of college to become an engineer, and now I are one. They learned me good.

I am right there with ya. Struggled for 4 years and still don't get any respect...

I believe the factory even states the 'Stang is drag limited. Car and Driver as well as Motor Trend have this info.

The vast majority of cars (probably 99%) are drag limited, and some implement a governor before reaching 'drag limit.'

It is a very simple answer:

As long as you are not 'redlining', you can add more power to get closer and closer to 'redline.'

The 05+ isn't close to redlining, so add more power to get closer:)

5th gear - gearing is not ideal too top-out, but is meant for interstate cruising. Steeper gearing helps propel the car thru the aerodynamic laws against the car body.

Slap a supercharger on and have fun!

I seem to remember an old magazine article about the windveil blue Vortech company car. Unless I'm mistaken; and the article was quite long ago, they said a stock '05 with just an intercooled vortech will pull 5th gear and it toped out at 193MPH. I've had mine to the rev limiter in fourth and it was all I ever want to do in a car without a full cage, ect.

I imagine that was on a dyno...

I thought it was at the salt flats but hey, I can't remember what I had for lunch two days ago so who knows? It was not on a public road. That I am sure of. Now that my brain has had time to seep a little, I think the driver of the car said that he wasn't suppose to peak it out in 5th but he did it on the last run anyway. Said it was quite a ride.