tps adjustment ?

boondocksaint

Aug 31, 2003
im in the process of adjusting my tps and am reading stingers tps adjustment. 2 questions, on the page he says" connect the voltage meter to the tps and ground, what does he mean by connecting to the tps? the red wire or the tps itself?the ground is a given, i have a red/green/black wire. just dont want to short anything out. also 2nd. what do i set my voltmeter at?i would assume its set to dcv, but at what setting? thanks all appreciate any and all responses

• Sponsors (?)

yep, set it for 20 turned the key on after running it for about 15 min. and it reads 6 volts at idle and the needle gets buried at wot. id say its slightly out of adjustment. to adjust i just loosen the screws and move the tps until i read .98-1.0 at idle and 4 at wot? appreciate the response

heres my question, im in the same boat..when you hook the possitive to the tps...where exactly are you putting it at? do you unhook the tps and stick it in the end? or what? i dont know where you putting your possitive at?

You leave the TPS plugged in and actually stick the lead to the voltmeter into the wire, sometimes you can get it into the back of the plug and get a connection, but I find it's easier to just stick a sharpened lead into the wires until it hits metal (through the insulation into the wire). Shoot for .93 (or mid nines) at idle and 4.6-4.7 at WOT.

You won't short anything out as you stated by just probing all three wires until you find the right one...reason I didn't put a color is it's different on n/a and turbo swap cars.

One wire is 5v all the time, one is ground, one is variable...you want the + on the variable one.

Stinger

ok this is kind of off topic but check it out.....

i have a 65mm bbk tb and the stock style tps keeps stripping out on the end of the throttle shaft. its like the throttle shaft is a little small for the inside of the tps sensor and it eats away at the inside. anyone heard of this?

when adjusting the tps at what position should the t/b butterfly be in? should it be closed all the way or should it be slightly opened? reason for asking is that i had my t/b off and took it all apart to clean, undid all of the screws.