Traction Control.....

• Sponsors (?)

I don't know exactly about the TCS in this exact system, but theres a general theory behind it. Basically, a TCS system is usually integrated onto a car with ABS (they could work indepent of each other), and it's used to control wheel slip acceleration; ABS would control wheel slip deceleration in a panic situtation. An example would be that you're on a gravel road, and you accelerate to quickly, and you lose traction. TCS, monitoring the wheel speed using sensors, which relays information to the ECU which decides what action it needs to take to control the wheel from spinning and possibily sending you out of control. The system could do this by many ways (Which I am uncertain for Fords specific system, but I would guess its close); Retarding the timing, which would instantly drop engine RPMS, it could possibly take even more action by limiting fuel, closing throttle, and even in some cases it could apply the brake, which would help you gain traction.

If TCS is on, whats slipping would be your wheel under acceleration due to lack of traction, and it doesnt hurt anything when TCS is in effect, its there for your benefit, but you can turn it off.

yeah what he said, although it is a seperate system than abs and yes it retards timing, limits fuel and applys the back brakes, i keep it off all the time unless its raining.

Doesent hurt anything. Basicaly it will bail you out of a mess if you get too throttle happy and from my experimenting it will keep the car straight. Turning it off your on your own, but theres good increase in usable power.

It has to be doing something else....because the other day I was turning a corner and accelerating pretty hard out of it and obviously broke the tires loose and traction control kicked in....me not being used to it thought that I was spinnging the tires at first glance and gave it some more gas then off then on again....the RPMS were not affected...it seemed as if I was slipping the clutch more than anything......so I have a feeling that it might do something else besides cut fuel apply brakes etc......can it somehow disengage the clutch?? :shrug:

ChadS98GT said:
It has to be doing something else....because the other day I was turning a corner and accelerating pretty hard out of it and obviously broke the tires loose and traction control kicked in....me not being used to it thought that I was spinnging the tires at first glance and gave it some more gas then off then on again....the RPMS were not affected...it seemed as if I was slipping the clutch more than anything......so I have a feeling that it might do something else besides cut fuel apply brakes etc......can it somehow disengage the clutch?? :shrug:

It cuts fuel, backs out timing, applies rear brakes AND retards spark in up to SEVEN cylinders if it needs to.

I have had it hit hard and feel just like you are describing. It doesn't do anything other than what i just mentioned. It does feels like your clutch it slipping though