Trans shifter question

In all of the pictures I have seen, including the latest your engine (to me) looks like it is in crooked. This and the way your shifter sits in the hole all tell me it is not in straight. The shifter should not be at an angle, it should be relatively centered in the shifter hole. In my opinion something isn't right, and it does not seem the new motor mounts corrected this.

Chris

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

If you look at the map sensor in the back, at the part your upper intake is pointing at and compare it to other photos of fox engines you will see what I mean.
20201127_140317.jpg
20201127_140803.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry but I agree with Chris. Rarely is a problem this obvious but this one is. That's good though because you don't have to wonder if it's right or not. Keep digging and posting pics and we'll make a community effort to help figure it out.

I agree the engine looks rotated counter clockwise in the bay. Could it be the motor mounts are in backwards or the trans cross member is reversed?

Reactions: 1 user
The transmission mount can't turn the engine if it's in correctly. It has to be engine mounts, bent kmember or ?
The fox cross member is not symmetrical. If someone reversed it the trans could be pulled towards the passenger side like in the photos causing the engine to be rotated counter clockwise.
Just a guess on my part though.

The fox cross member is not symmetrical. If someone reversed it the trans could be pulled towards the passenger side like in the photos causing the engine to be rotated counter clockwise.
Just a guess on my part though.
Yeah but I just didn't think with the engine secured correctly you could even pull the transmission to one side.... But I've been surprised before...lol!

Its impossible for the K-member to go in backwards....but the motor mount holes are slots and allow the engine to rotate....he needs to loosen the mounts where they bolt into the k-member and rotate the engine to where the shifter is straight up and down and re-tighten them down. Here are pics of the mounts in the k-member. They are reversed L on R and visa vera. The important point it the mount hole is the front one thats more of a slot. This is where his problem is.
BTW the 1st pic is the drivers side and you can see why this car was scrapped, the front frame rail, and bottom of the shock tower is gone. The front clip has been cut off. I bought the car for $200 minus engine and interior and have made a mint off it selling parts.

Attachments

• DSCF3833.JPG
    DSCF3833.JPG
    453.2 KB · Views: 52
  • DSCF3834.JPG
    DSCF3834.JPG
    408.4 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
  • Agree
Those engine mount holes are nearly vertical, they will only effect tilt, one side of engine will be higher or lower if not seated completely.
I have a left engine mount I grabbed from my stash, the heads are off my engine so I can compare sides, it is possible to swap L/R mounts but the position the engine would be in looks like it would be impossible to install the trans mount to the cross mount, the engine would be too far forward. Maybe two right or left side mounts on the engine can cause this :shrug: the cross member I have looks like it can be installed both ways but appears to also move the trans mount location forward or back, he needs to look at his engine mounts to see if there are installed with R/L and not two R or two L mounts.
This is an observation based on comparing the parts with an engine/trans installed in a car. I am not looking at his car so I can only give my opinion of what the possible problem would be.
I can't see how, if two R or L mounts were used that the trans mount would line up to the holes in the cross member.

• Agree
I’ll be getting an alignment this summer so I’ll have them check the K-member.... but past alignments went fine ....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    530.4 KB · Views: 51
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    480.8 KB · Views: 54
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    443.2 KB · Views: 49