Transmission issues

jake411

May 9, 2024
Michigan
Howdy! I don't usually take to forms but I decided that this would be a good place to start.

I have a 96 mustang gt 5 speed t-5, one day I was on my way home, while on the freeway I wanted to pass another vehicle so went to do a 5-4 shift and when I pressed in the clutch I heard a thud, no clutch exploding noises after the thud, just a hardy thud. then I lost all gears, it would still go into every gear, even with the car running and not pressing the clutch, the car ran fine, but was acting like I had the clutch pressed all the way down.

I had it towed home and got under it and opened the inspection cover to find the clutch fork weight had fallen off and i thought it was jamming the clutch fork forward so it wouldn't disengage, so I put it back together and nothing changed. The only thing that is weird is that I have a stage 2 McLeoid clutch kit so it is quite stiff, but after this it's no where near as stiff, it feels a lot quicker and more springy and like there's a lump in the middle of the pedal.

Could it possibly be a bad pressure plate and clutch?

I have checked the clutch cable and fork, and that is all moving freely, I just would like a little bit of help in determining what the issue is.

Attachments

• IMG_20240322_134856_525.jpg
    IMG_20240322_134856_525.jpg
    871.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Sponsors (?)

Without seeing firsthand, i'm leaning towards a clutch issue. I assume the cable didn't fail, but it would need to be something in the pressure plate. Regardless, if you decide to dig into this you'll need a new pressure plate, disk and throw-out bearing anyway, and inspect the clutch fork/cable for damage.

I don't think it's the trans, which is a T-45 Btw not a T5.