Transmission noise after changing shifter and fluid

Truck9123

Dec 15, 2006
I have an 02 vert with 83k. I installed the MGW shifter and 3.5 quarts of amsoil atf. The trans is now much noiser in every gear except 4th. Not really a grinding or whining noise kind of hard to explain I havent had the car very long (6months) but it shifted well and did not make ANY noise at all b4 the change. The shifter install is very simple so I dont think I could have screwed that up. I read just about every thread here and a bunch of other forums b4 deciding on the MGW and expected it to be as quiet or quieter than stock. So that leads me to believe the trans just doesnt like the amsoil. But I really havent heard anything bad about it either. I have only driven it about 20 minutes so far, will it quiet down after I get it broken in? Any comments or suggestions.

• Sponsors (?)

It may not make any noise in your car, but every car is different. I doubt the amsoil messed up his tranny. That is a VERY reputable company.

I know very little about how the Tremec works but could it be possible that with 82k on the tranny it has worn a bit and the MGW is putting everything internally in a slightly different position? I will add the other half quart i have when I get up tomorrow and see if that makes any difference.

no no no. Im sorry that people didnt tell you before you bought the shifter that it is noisy. I thought the same things because i didnt expect the kind of noises i was hearing to come that loud from the trans (mainly a grinding noise). you have nothing to worry about, just enjoy the short throw and research products pros and cons before you buy because their all the same

and btw, adding more fluid will just make it harder to shift, its not gonna help (you already have too much in)

You will always lose some of those "comfort settings" (like quiet shifting) when switching over to after market applications. My Tri-Ax is definitely a bit more noisy then stock, but man do I love how it shifts. Still, I will be going over to a MGW shifter
soon.

I've mixed and matched several different handles and knobs with the Tri-Ax and Pro5.0 shifters and they all make different sounds. The 'cue ball' knob on the Tri-Ax handle is by far the noisiest. The OEM knob seems to be the quietest, but I'm also having luck now with the Steeda knob on the Steeda handle on my Pro5.0...meanwhile, my wife's Tri-Ax has a Pro5.0 handle and 'pistol grip' knob. Mix and match!

Actually, it's just that the trans always makes those noises but aftermarket shifters invariably get rid of the squishy rubber isolator found in the handle of OEM shifters. You gain accuracy and noise as a result.

your stock shifter has a rubber isolater betwween your shifter arm and actual shifter. i found that the isolater is to cut down internal trans noise. so if you have the after market like you said, it will be noisier.

Had to go to work today so I didnt mess with any more fluid. I put about 100 miles on it and it has quieted down considerably. Enough that I am comfortable with it being "normal" and not my transmission getting ready to take a crap. I am curious though because there is still no noise at all in 4th gear only.

Also why the large range in suggested fluid levels? In this thread alone ive heard from 4.4 quarts to 3.5 is over filled. I did several weeks of research b4 doing this and it seemed that most people are getting better results with the low end of that range. So I figured 3.5 quarts was about right.

Aftermarket shifters have less rubber between you and the shifter. You will hear more noise, more of the noise that was already there. Try driving /w your shifter boot off... it's even louder.

My triax made a lot of noise so I put a rubber piece between the handle and the shifter and it quieted down some... still noisy but not as much.