Transmission Noise

bordboy

Apr 17, 2005
So, the I've been noticing a wierd noise for a few days now and i searched the forum to figure out what to do. the advice i got was to check the fluid, so i decided to just go ahead and change the tranny fluid,and i used mercon. btw i have a 92 gt, 5.0 with a 5sp, 86000 miles.
Here's where my problem starts...Now ONLY in second gear it makes a noise that i can only describe as something spinning around and hitting something. like a rattle that goes along with the rpm. it isnt constantly making noise (itll go stop go stop randomly), but it always makes the noise in 2nd gear. Ive determined that it is coming from the transmission area, and i can feel it in the shifter, the shifter vibrates with the noise. Its kind of hard to describe a noise in words.
The only other thing i thought was odd was that when i refilled the trans, i filled it to the filler hole, so that fluid started running out, but i only put in just over 2 quarts. I was under the impression that it should take at least 2 1/2 qts. But maybe that is unimportant.

-Raleigh

• Sponsors (?)

did you notice any metal shavings when you drained the fluid? is it your stock tranny? clutch? maybe if you have a clutch fork cover, take it off and see if there's something is falling apart in there. :shrug: :shrug:

bordboy said:
So, the I've been noticing a wierd noise for a few days now and i searched the forum to figure out what to do. the advice i got was to check the fluid, so i decided to just go ahead and change the tranny fluid,and i used mercon. btw i have a 92 gt, 5.0 with a 5sp, 86000 miles.
Here's where my problem starts...Now ONLY in second gear it makes a noise that i can only describe as something spinning around and hitting something. like a rattle that goes along with the rpm. it isnt constantly making noise (itll go stop go stop randomly), but it always makes the noise in 2nd gear. Ive determined that it is coming from the transmission area, and i can feel it in the shifter, the shifter vibrates with the noise. Its kind of hard to describe a noise in words.
The only other thing i thought was odd was that when i refilled the trans, i filled it to the filler hole, so that fluid started running out, but i only put in just over 2 quarts. I was under the impression that it should take at least 2 1/2 qts. But maybe that is unimportant.

-Raleigh

transmission noise....

i'd hate to say it, but chances are that it is a broken gear, usually a crack forms over time, usually its not even b/c of abuse, it just happens, and it spreads creating a weak point and breakage is inevitable. T-5's are notorious for breaking, all you can do is pull it and rebuild it and throw it back in, you can drive it til it grenades, ive done that. i really dont suggest that tho b/c you may be chancing on damaging the casing of the transmission, its only made of cast aluminum. I myself am on my 3rd t-5 currently. Let me tell you its just gets better, lol, i upgraded from an 85 to a 93 world class with alloy gears. Seeing how i am running a 340 hp , high compression 306, i guess the only real weak link is the tranmission, since i am planning on running a 200 shot nitrous express kit, im looking into a tko. Look at your power specs and think about whether you'll need a tougher tranny or not. But if you are close to stock, just rebuild that tranny. Cost is kind unknown seeing how you dont know what all you'll have to replace, chances are 2nd gear( which is almost always going to be the problem), possibly 3rd and most likely your main shaft. Look around and try to find somone you can trust b/c its easy to get screwed over on a tranmission repair, goodluck.

does it only make the noise when the clutch is engaged? like if you just sit there in nuetral does it make the noise? also, does it make the noise only when the car is warmed up/ or when you just start it. does the shifter vibrate in any other gears?

Thanks a lot frank, even though i really dont want it to be anything serious, that really helped.
Pete, it only makes the noise when the clutch is engaged, in second gear only. it makes the noise both all the time, hot or cold. and the shifter doesnt vibrate (other than normal) in other gears.