transmission noise

deadman323

May 4, 2005
i have just bought a 02 gt manual. i traded my v-6 for it. lately the tranny is making like a rattling noise. seems to be more noticable during high rpm's. but when in parking and idle, u could hear it alittle bit .?

• Sponsors (?)

deadman323 said:
i have just bought a 02 gt manual. i traded my v-6 for it. lately the tranny is making like a rattling noise. seems to be more noticable during high rpm's. but when in parking and idle, u could hear it alittle bit .?
If the car is at idle and parked with the clutch disengaged and you hear the noise, i think thats something else not your transmission

Could be something loose....exhaust is common. Or a bad cat converter can rattle...that's what mine does. Will also rattle more at higher rpm's because of the pressure, or something loose will do that too because of greater vibration. Not sure if a tranny would rattle whether its in gear or in neutral or with the clutch engaged. Unless something on the tranny is loose...maybe the shifter or something.

cause i had a problem with the exhaust last week where i would hear a ticking sound from there. i took it to the exhaust shop and when the guy raised it up he said it was the tranny. he hit it and it made a rattling noise but a side of that the exhaust was missing a bolt which he put back on and fixed the ticking problem but lately i noticed this rattling noise?

He hit the tranny and it made a rattling noise? That can't be good. Or he hit the exhaust and it rattled? The tranny is pretty solid...can't imagine something woudl rattle ont he inside by hitting the outside....maybe a mount bolt is loose or something on the tranny.

So before you got the exhaust tick fixed, was it ticking and rattling, or just ticking. If it went from a ticking to a rattling, I'd guess the "fix" wasn't really a fix. Maybe he didn't tighten the bolt that he added enough....so instead of having a tick (exhaust leak), you not have a rattle, bolt or nut or washer rattling.

Not sure about your exhaust guy, but a lot of mechanics working at the exhaust shops know little more than the oil change techs.

deadman323 said:

check the sheild that covers the clutch fork.. ( it's on the drivers side of the tranny on the side.. the clutch cable goes into the trans there) i have seen these get loose and make a hell of a rattle high up in the rpms..

plus another thing is the noise you hear a idle might be the throw out bearing.. that would be a different problem.. the throw out bearing noise is a chirping noise that goes away with your foot on the clutch..

you might have both of these problems.. if the cover is causing the rattle then you need too retread the bolt so it will tighten up and put some anti rattle felt on the edges that contact the trans case..

and for the throw out bearing ( if thats the other noise) requires trans removal.. parts only about 30 bucks. and most shops charge about 4 hours too replace it.