tree sap on paint...

jegg

Mar 17, 2004
This morning i was filling up at the gas station and saw that there were spots on the trunk of my car. :notnice: I touched it to see what it was and it was tree sap. I detailed my car on Sunday and that took me hours. So you all can imagine how pissed i am about this. :mad: Anyway, I have never experience sap being on any of my cars and I can already tell its going to be a pain to remove. So I come to you guys for help. How do i go about removing this without leaving rubbing marks in the spots where the tree sap is. BTW my car is black. Sorry if this isn't tech.

• Sponsors (?)

You probably should have put this in Sound & Shine, but I'll try to help:

I've had this problem before on a different car...it was black though. I used a bug & tar remover to get it off. It didn't leave any marks on the car either.

That sucks that you had just detailed it...we all know how that goes. Good Luck.

jegg said:
This morning i was filling up at the gas station and saw that there were spots on the trunk of my car. :notnice: I touched it to see what it was and it was tree sap. I detailed my car on Sunday and that took me hours. So you all can imagine how pissed i am about this. :mad: Anyway, I have never experience sap being on any of my cars and I can already tell its going to be a pain to remove. So I come to you guys for help. How do i go about removing this without leaving rubbing marks in the spots where the tree sap is. BTW my car is black. Sorry if this isn't tech.

I know this is going to sound crazy but I've been using plain old barbecue lighter fluid (Kingsford) for this for years and years (ever since '67 when a road was repaved where I parked my fastback - was totally covered in black asphault tar). Soak a 1" square on a soft rag (old tee shirt) and clean a small patch at a time. Should go easier than anything else. Follow immediately with dry cloth then with liquid cleaner/wax (something easy working). Buff to restore to original appearance. Wax car within two weeks (Maguiars or whatever). I've never had any paint damage however there's always a first time. Try on isolated area first (rear fender flare down low for example). If it works fine there then proceed to try on tree sap.

Good luck!

Jeff

Don't despair over having detailed your car last week. A fresh coat of wax will make this easier to deal with in the long run.
I've successfully used a cotton cloth saturated with WD-40 to remove both tree sap and road tar. Whatever you decide to use, remember to let the product do the work; don't rub too hard, especially since your car is black and will easily scratch.
Good luck.

geegee said:
I know this is going to sound crazy but I've been using plain old barbecue lighter fluid (Kingsford) for this for years and years
Jeff

I've successfully used a cotton cloth saturated with WD-40 to remove both tree sap and road tar. Whatever you decide to use, remember to let the product do the work; don't rub too hard, especially since your car is black and will easily scratch.
Good luck.

lets just fu
ck this guy's clearcoat up for him. btw semper fi marine

clay bar + no sap spray
smartest post yet

do as this guy says and make sure you wax as usual after. claybar takes off EVERYTHING. microfiber towel is recommended.

Unfortunately I deal with tree sap every day. As someone else already said, a regular car wash product mixed with warm water will remove it.

I am suprised no one has recommended you wet sand it yet :D