Tremec TKO

• Sponsors (?)

I'm piecing together a 408 and I'm slowly adding stuff to it; however, i don't have much experience driving a manual so I was going to go ahead and mate the tko600 with the v6 before I drop the new engine in.

What are the differences between the 5.0 bellhousing and a 3.8 bellhousing?

AP1995V6 said:
I'm piecing together a 408 and I'm slowly adding stuff to it; however, i don't have much experience driving a manual so I was going to go ahead and mate the tko600 with the v6 before I drop the new engine in.

What are the differences between the 5.0 bellhousing and a 3.8 bellhousing?
the 5.0 bellhousing will not work with a tremec either. if you are going with a tko, you will need a new bellhousing regardless. it would be much more cost effective to just wait for the 408.

I know a stock 5.0 bellhousing won't work. I was referring to the 5.0 bellhousing for the tremec. Cost efficiency isn't an issue since I'm looking at about a year before I complete the 408 so having to fork out a couple hundred bucks for 351 parts isn't a big deal. I really need to familiarize myself with a manual transmission so it's worth the extra cost. I just can't justify buying a used t5 when buying a tko is financially feasible .

I E-mailed supersix and rpm-mustangs to see if they know what parts are needed to mate a tko to a 3.8.

I believe it should pretty much bolt right in. Then with the 408 you will need a new bell housing (as you have said).

Can you wait to do both at once? I mean you may even be able to get a 6cyl manual trans for nothing now, then you can learn on it and sell it later for baiscally what you pay now. Why learn on the trans you want to have around for a while. Just my $.02.

Sounds cool though man...

the problem with going with a v6 t5 now is that aside from the new bellhousing, when the 408 goes in, he will also need a new clutch fork and clutch. (the tko requires a fox clutch fork and a different clutch disc because of a different number of splines on the input shaft.) an alternative to the tko is the g-force t5. you can check it out here:

http://www.g-forcetransmissions.com/tran_gt-5.asp

miller92063 said:
i went with the tko-500 because the tko-600 uses strait cut gears. it shifts harder and louder.(what i have been told)
i dont believe the tk-600 uses straight cut gears, might be an option though. mine shifts smooth and for the same price it holds an extra 100 ft/lbs over the tk-500

miller92063 said:
i went with the tko-500 because the tko-600 uses strait cut gears. it shifts harder and louder.(what i have been told)

The stock TKO-600 from tremec uses helical cut gears, not straight cut. There are some companies that make pro-shifted versions of the TKO-600 that use straight cut gears.