trick flow R intake help

brendon1980

Nov 6, 2009
I just got what was said to be a Trick flow track heat intake.When i got it was not a track heat but a R upper and lower intake.I am new to mustangs and hopped up EFIs but from what i have seen online this intake is used on higher hp cars with turbos or superchargers.My car is a 87 GT built to GT 40 specs but has brodix st 5.0 heads.It has a 7o mm throttle body,cold air intake, bbk long tubes,x pipe,mac with dumps.It has a 5 spd with 4.10 gears.I guess what i need to know is this to much intake for my set up?Thanks for any help or advice

• Sponsors (?)

Is it the R or the box r upper?With your motor mods i wouldnt really worry about it to much,all you will do is loose a little TQ.You have 4.10 gears so that will get you going to the power band of your intake.If your worried about it then sell JUST the upper and order a new upper for it.peace

john:p

The R won't hurt you too much but if it's the box are your definitly going to lose some power, te box R is meant for high revving motors, not necissarily turbos or S/cs.

yup, thats the plain R manifold. box uses the same lower, and the street and track heats share the same lower (different than the R). as to if its too big, probably, it'll shift the powerband way high with just a stock-ish 302 (cam could do this too). if you plan on eventually building yourself a high-flowing 347 or something though, it may be worth keeping it around.

i guess this is all a bit new to me but a gt40 spec motor claims to have 350 hp but with better flowing heads such as the brodix st 5.0 heads that i have i should be at 360-365 hp. if this is stockish i would love to see a race ready 5.0.