Trickflow Highport header alternatives..

tomst9

Founding Member
Jun 17, 2002
Bethlehem Pa
I have the highport heads, and i currently have the hooker headers designed for the heads. No matter what i do, i can not get them to seal good. They fit good, and look great(ceramic coated :nice: ) but the don't seal well. I've gotten to the point where i can't take it anymore. It makes my car sound like crap and i know it isn't helping the performance at all. I have a set of bbk shortie equal lengths from when i had the stock heads on. Has anyone been able to make them fit? I know that the ports are raised 3/4 of an inch and i can take care of that, but is anyone able to get them to fit around the steering shaft. I have no clue if they even will come close on the othe side. i haven't tried it yet. I would get the trickflow shorties if i had the money. but i don't.

Also, these headers have 1 3/4 primaries with a 3in. collector. I got them cheap and the are ceramic coated in and out. After going over the head's flow charts and the cm specs, i think that the primaries are too big. What do you think?

Sorry about the length
tom

• Sponsors (?)

They will probably fit, but the matching h-pipe will need to worked a little (maybe), since the tail of the h-pipe will be tilted downward more so than stock (due to the front being at a higher attachment location). I've gotten a set of JBA shorties to work, but my h-pipe hangs low (even with mods). If anything, the shorties will hit the back of the block.

Are you sure you've tried everything to get those longtubes to seal? What is not sealing? The flange? Collectors?

I'm going to try to work a set of those cheap summit longtubes with my highports. So far, I have to grind off some of the flange since each port makes contact with the valve cover...

Anyhow,
good luck

i can't get the flange to seal. I got the colletor to seal fine. The do fit great in the car though. I probably tried about four times now to get them to seal, but no matter what the always leak a little somwhere at first, but overtime the just leak more even when i tighten them. I have to use the adapter plate because i have the older style highports with the straight bolt pattern, but my headers have the diagonal bolt pattern. Maybe that could be a problem, but theres nothing i can do about that.
I got the bbk headers to fit! It took some modifying, but i got them to fit. Now i have to get a h or x pipe and go from there.
What do you think about the 1 3/4 being to big of a primary. Or is 1 5/8 too small?
Keep at those headers. It took me 8 hours to get one of the hooker headers to fit when i first got them.

thanks for the replies
tom