Trouble shifting into reverse...

pawn

May 20, 2001
Rochester, NY
well, the thread title says it all...

sometimes it works normally, but other times it takes a lot of muscle to get it in reverse gear, or it just goesnt go and i have to move the shifter around and try it multiple times...

what could be wrong?

btw: 99 gt manual tranny

• Sponsors (?)

My car does the same thing. I have the t3650 in my car, which is known to have these problems. I'm not sure about yours though. It works fine when I put it into 4th then 5th, then reverse. It's annoying, but I haven't had any problems with that so.... Give it a try. :shrug:

02StallionGT said:
Put the car in first.... let off the clutch a little bit... (find the breaking point), then put her in N, let off the clutch... then she should slide right into into R.
That's the answer...or, at least, a solution. Still doesn't solve the problem, but this is the workaround I taught my wife to use on her 01 GT. My 02 GT doesn't have this problem at all. This is not the first car I've had to do this with...this solution has been around since the dawn of manual transmissions! :D

Yes, driving a manual trasmission requires some knowledge, I guess :shrug: . I always thought it was a "safety" thing.
I have used that little trick, or different variations since my first purchase (all 5spd.).
Ahhhhhh, yes.... a 92 Geo Prism when I was 16. :rlaugh: I was in 5th gear at 45 MPH!

T-45 doesn't have a syncro for reverse that's why sometimes it's hard to get it into reverse. By putting it in another gear or by letting off the clutch like double clutching will make it easier sometimes to get into reverse.

As for having a problem with the 3650 I thought they had a syncro for reverse.