Trying to find a mesh grill for my hood scoop inserts?

• Sponsors (?)

how about some of that APC aluminum mesh? i normally warn people to stay away from APC products, but this may be just what you're looking for. looks like it only comes in red, blue, or polished, but there are plenty of other companies that make a similar product and offer it in black.

When my scoop arrived, it was painted all one color, even the insert part, that on a functional scoop would be open to allow airflow, was blue.

I took some flat black paint, and painted in the insert area.
It looked really good, but after a week or so, I thought I could improve the look.
So, I had an idea.
I work in food service, and in the bar, we place the clean glasses on this plastic/rubber mesh, to allow air circulation. Pretty common stuff, and it comes in many colors, including black.
I paid a couple of bucks for a foot of this stuff, made a template of the hood scoop insert, and cut pieces to fit, and super glued them in.

Now they look much better, as the mesh over the flat black adds depth, and it looks for all the world like a mesh grill.

A lady I work with has a 2004 anniversary edition stang, and I was checking out the mock c scoops on the side of her car.
In my opinion, the job I did on my scoop looks far superior to the stock job on her side scoops. Hers are just molded rubber, with hardly any depth.

Hope this helps. You should be able to find this stuff at any restaurant supply store, or maybe tip your bartender a couple of extra bucks for him/her to cut you off a piece. :D