Tune question

Fast05

Sep 16, 2005
Corpus Christi, TX
Right now I am running the diablosport 87 octane performance tune and want to go with the 93 octane tune. Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but when I do this, do I need to burn out all the 87 in my tank now and change the tune at the gas station after filling up? I don't have much experience with tuning cars and just don't want anything to break. Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

Run it until low then fill it with 93 and tune whenever you want after that. You do not need to tune right at the gas station. You can't harm anything running a higher octane than the tune. The only way you would have a problem would be running a LOWER octane than the tune. Good luck!

Fast05 said:
Right now I am running the diablosport 87 octane performance tune and want to go with the 93 octane tune. Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but when I do this, do I need to burn out all the 87 in my tank now and change the tune at the gas station after filling up? I don't have much experience with tuning cars and just don't want anything to break. Thanks in advance.

How do you like the Hurst shifter on your car? I am looking at either the hurst or steeda but cant decide which one.

Aactually, you should fill er up with high octane, then drive around for a while (10-20 mins), then setup a 93 octane tune...otherwise, lower octane at the bottom of your tank and in the fuel delivery system is stilll 87 and you'll get knock, especially at high rpm.

I am thinking about getting a tuner, but I just wanted to know whether using one will throw off the message center and give inaccurate readings on DTE and average MPG.
I heard that it does, but I just wanted to find out from those of you who use them.

Thanks!

wbr351 said:
I tuned my last week, JLT CAI and 93 octane tune. Made a 400 mile trip this weekend and the MPG, DTE worked just fine. I was really suprised how accurate the gallons consumed was, within 0.5 gallons on a 14 gallon fillup.

I was suprised too. At my last fillup, my manual calculations came up to 25.5 MPG while the Info center indicated 25.4 MPG. I can't remember the total gallons, I'll need to check my receipt since I always write it down, but it was pretty close, about .2 or .3.
Most of this was highway driving, about 70%, but I think it was pretty good for a V-8.
Thanks!

WOW, 25 MPG? I averaged about 22 this weekend, but I did average 78 MPH on thr average speed computer. At on point, I was running with two ricers across the Atchafalaya spillway (long bridge) at about 115 MPH for about 6 miles! Not a good way to conserve fuel.

Note: there was no other traffic around, so we were not endangering anyone but ourselves!:nono:

wbr351 said:
WOW, 25 MPG? I averaged about 22 this weekend, but I did average 78 MPH on thr average speed computer. At on point, I was running with two ricers across the Atchafalaya spillway (long bridge) at about 115 MPH for about 6 miles! Not a good way to conserve fuel.

Note: there was no other traffic around, so we were not endangering anyone but ourselves!:nono:

True! Going 115MPH is going to waste fuel, but its nice to do it once in a while. The car is built to go fast so have a little fun.
I haven't gone over 100 MPH yet, but one day I will test its limit.
By the way, I checked my receipt and the total gallons was 11.824 while the computer indicated 11.7. It was off by only .124, not bad, but that can be a result of me topping off the tank so it could be a lot closer.