Tuning Software / Hand helds / etc...

usaf_branham

15 Year Member
Oct 30, 2008
Boston
Ok...

Before I put the Kenne Bell on my car I had a Diablo Sport Predator Hand Held Tuner... I loved the fact that I could 'play' with the settings in the ecu, like gears, timing, a/f, etc. At that point I didnt have a very good understanding of what I was dealing with, and now that I have been to the dyno and had my car tuned by a 'reputable shop' that apparently is gun shy, and did a ton of research on tuning (because i dont think my car was tuned right). I think that I could tackle tuning it my self with a little bit more research / training / instruction manual, and a little bit of help if i get into a bind. Right now my car has a SCT Switch Chip in it, and i am NOT happy with the tune. I want to be able to adjust the timing and a/f ratio and gear ratio at a minimum. This winter I will be switching from 4.10 to 3.73, putting a new clutch in the car (advice on this is welcome too, see sig for mods), and either, having the shop who tuned my car, load their tune into an x-cal 3, leaving it unlocked to the point where i can either add fuel or timing or take it away, and i plan on installing a wide band 02 sensor.

So, I am curious to what you guys think about sniper tuning software or me just going with an x-cal 3 with minor adjustments. Cost is some what of a factor, but my car isnt happy with the tune I have. I would like to be able to data log at idle, mid throttle, and wot, and have the ability to adjust a/f & timing and a minimum of 1000 increments of rpm. Granted I have only a general knowledge of tuning at this point, so i would like something that has a very good instruction manual, and support so I can make the car driveable at other than wot. The tune in my car now sucks, i believe the timing table jumps around too much which is sacrificing my driveability. It seems like the car bogs at low rpm's and out of no where 'bam' it breaks the tires loose at part throttle. It's sort of rediculous.

Like I said before, I am NO EXPERT at tuning, however I do understand A/F, and Timing, and some other things here and there. Any input would be appreciated.

Sorry for the long post, but I want to get my ducks in order before I blow more money on my ride. Also, I have a tendancy to get sort of picky about my car when a shop does work to it, because I have had 0 problems from what I have done, and the 2 things I paid a shop to get done, ended up with issues. Which are the tune and the gears. I could have done the gears myself but lacked the confidence at the time because the car was my DD. Now that its going to be garaged all winter (and i watched the shop install the gears) I have no doubt of my capabilities and will do the 3.73's myself with all new bearings. I will be doing the clutch myself, which involves dropping the k-member due to my l/t's. Now, i would just rather deal with the tune myself, so I can only blame myself for anything that goes wrong.

Any comments / advice is appreciated. Thank you.

• Sponsors (?)

I think for the hands on tuner a sniper commando is the way to go.

A gtech or similar can be used to get a good dyno curve and peak HP, Use that for your WOT performance tuning. Then use a wideband 02 to dial in your part throttle A/F ratio.

I have had SCT and diablo currently, both good but.... dont own a sniper but I have done tons of research and from what I know the sniper will give you more tuning control and tuning power than anyone else, and for a better price than anyone else at best.

Check this link for a good review and sample of the sniper Sniper Tuning Review

Best part is there is a forum just for sniper and there seems to be a good amount of geeks in there that are quick to help you out. Here is the link Delta Force Tuning Forums - Index page

After my research, I found the sniper to be the best plain and simple. Yeah, screw the rest for now.

Little late on reply , but I PMed you , I am a dealer for all major brands of tuners so I know the ins and outs of all of them , do you have a dyno graph with air/fuel and or spark data ?

I've been using a TwEECer on my 97 GT, but I have to tell you up front that it isn't for the novice. In your case, a base tune from a shop with a safe tune would be a great starting point. Then, you can adjust things until you are happy.

The tweecer is generally cheaper than the other options and the code has been pretty well deciphered for these cars.

No matter what system you get, it can get very confusing trying to tune your own car. Whatever you decide to get, I highly recommend something with datalogging capability (tweecer RT can do that). Without datalogging and a wide band O2, you are essentially tuning blind.

Before rolling up your sleeves and delving head-first into data tables, you need to do some diagnostics.

Your part throttle issues sound like a fault, not a tune issue. The PCM should be running closed loop fuel control at part throttle. A "tune" wouldn't really fix that unless the tune that's in there now is set to run open-loop all the time. Can you scan the car and see the loop status (open or closed) and log the MAF, the front O2 sensors (and their trims) and timing, not with an eye toward changing things at this time but rather just gathering information?

You surmise the "timing table jumps around too much" but without evidence of this, you're just guessing.