turbo 4v running

• Sponsors (?)

ok darned it. but it looks like crap till i clean the campartment up.

teaser

IMG_4903.jpg

this one is very messy. the wiring harness is just laying over the motor until i get it layed in right.

IMG_4893.jpg

See, I originally thought 93-96 engine cause of the coil pack bracket but then I saw the COPs and 97-98 valve covers so :shrug:

EDIT: NM, what I thought was the COPs is just the tape over the spark plug holes :doh:

the target for this motor is the nissan GT-R and late Z06.
i wanted to weigh less than the Z06 and have more power,
i wanted to hook as well as AWD like the GT-R.

once i beat them both at the track or elsewhere it gets retired to DD low boost.

Lighter then a Z06 and launch like a GT-R?
Dude, you have some seriously high expectations. Not saying it cant be done and I respect you for going after it but thats a tough combo you are going after. Gonna need some serious suspension and MT ET streets :shrug:

i wanted to weigh less than the Z06 and have more power.

If you wanted to keep the weight off, you shoulda stuck with a set of ported 2V heads and intake. The all aluminum block may keep the weight off, but the heads and timing components are still heavy. Even though they're made mainly of aluminum as well, there's still a lot of it. You would have probably saved a good 40-45lbs off the nose sticking with a 2V ;)

or going 3v from the 5.4.

ill weigh it here at work. we have a certified scale.

it weighed 3360 with the 5.4 without me in it.

that was before all of the tubular suspension and removing power steering/brakes stuff. ABS booster is going away also.

losing the rear seat.

yes i set very high goals. my hoosier DOT pros shouldn't spin much off the line. if they do ill go bigger. 325/50-15 dot pros is the next step for tires if i cant hook.

Sorry, I completly forgot you were the dude that put that 5.4 3V in your car. Was trying for a year now to remember who that was :rlaugh:
Yeah, with all the stuff you have then you should be alright. Shoulda shaved, what, 90lbs going from the 5.4 to the 4v 4.6 :shrug: Figure another 40 in suspension, 30-40 for the power assist stuff... should have it below 3200 lbs wich is around 100 lighter then a Vette? I forget how much they weigh now. :scratch:

---- Specifications ----

Price
-- Production
Engine
7 liter V8 Weight
3180 lbs
Aspiration
natural Torque
--
HP
505 hp @ 6300 rpm HP/Weight
--
HP/Liter
72.1 hp per liter 1/4 mile
--
0-62 mph
3.7 seconds Top Speed
199 mph

one thing i am wondering.

any of you with 4v's.

how quickly does your motor rev in neutral? i am asking because i have never seen a non race motor rev this quickly.

im trying to pinpoint what the cause is. is it normal for 4v or is there something different about mine.

---- Specifications ----

Price
-- Production
Engine
7 liter V8

Weight 3180 lbs

Aspiration natural Torque
--
HP
505 hp @ 6300 rpm HP/Weight = 6.297
--

HP/Liter
72.1 hp per liter

1/4 mile = 11.5@127

--
0-62 mph 3.7 seconds

Top Speed
199 mph

the things that pop out to me are: power to weight, rpm limit, aero.

watching the Z06 kill car after car on you tube points out a bunch of notable things.
1. broad torque. quick revving cars WILL get the jump on a Z06. but after speed builds and the torque advantage AND hp takes over.
2. aero to HP. the aero advantage really shows after speeds climb. if you are going to kill one you need good aero or you'll lose even with more hp.
ive watched one termi lose after another to less powerful z06's at higher speeds.
3. power to weight. at 3180 lbs it has an advantage over most cars. they simply dont need as much power to pull away , then aero adds to the advantage.

the 94-98 stang IS the best aero of the mustangs. it is NO late model vette, but it is close enough to not give up as much as a new edge or s-197. remove the rear spoiler and close the fake side vents and it get even closer aero drag-wise.

SO: make more power/torque and rev higher, while weighing less = win.