Turn key and nothing happends? Try three times and then it starts?

85GTKid

Founding Member
Jun 6, 2001
Oregon
I started a topic earlier about how my car developed a really bad miss this morn that hits somewhat randomly and even cause my car to die once or twice. Well I just tried to start it again and when I turned the key nothing happened. No click no turn over just nothing. I did this several times and then it tuned over and started with the miss still present. Could my ignition switch be going bad? And would this cause my car to have a miss?

• Sponsors (?)

the switch is probably going out, but i dont think that can cause a miss. i drove my car one day and at every light it would randomly rev from 1500 to right before it died. it died twice though. i went somewhere and came back out and it hasnt done it since :shrug:

-Mike

really check connections, particularily grounds. when it wont crank, you can put a test light on the slide-on wire on the solenoid. if it lights up, in crank mode (even if the car does not crank), the switch and safety interlocks are alright - check the solenoid further and the connections.

good luck.

HISSIN50 said:
really check connections, particularily grounds. when it wont crank, you can put a test light on the slide-on wire on the solenoid. if it lights up, in crank mode (even if the car does not crank), the switch and safety interlocks are alright - check the solenoid further and the connections.

good luck.
I went through and cleaned all of my connections everywhere. Seems to have done the trick...Thanks :nice:

85GTKid said:
I went through and cleaned all of my connections everywhere. Seems to have done the trick...Thanks :nice:
cool. it is amazing what moving a cable or connection can do. the grounds like to get a layer of crud between them. energizing the circuit a few times (remember juice flows from ground to positive) is kinda tell tale (to me) that a dirty connection is at fault. 5 minutes cleaning can really help out.

nice work and glad to hear you are up and running!