turning the Dmobile into an 86?

step by step to problem being solved.

1.) remove windsheild's
2.) drill rivets on V.I.N tag's
3.) re-rivet tags on oppostie cars.
4.)apply for tag

You forgot 5.

5. GET CAUGHT, GO TO JAIL

Is this emissions law country-wide? If not, register it in a different county... or whatever you guys have up there...

Or check with your DMV to get around it like we did in ohio, get collectors (not to be confused with classic) plates on it. And as long as you dont go over a certain mileage per year, it makes you exempt. I dont know if they have that available up there, but its worth a shot.

• Sponsors (?)

You forgot 5.

5. sell to keith for fiddy dollars

Is this emissions law country-wide? If not, register it in a different county... or whatever you guys have up there...

Or check with your DMV to get around it like we did in ohio, get collectors (not to be confused with classic) plates on it. And as long as you dont go over a certain mileage per year, it makes you exempt. I dont know if they have that available up there, but its worth a shot.

fixed... i was just kidding. man i get flamed for everything :(

Collectors tag not an option..I know alot of you guys won't understand completely all the effort but the return will be a sleek little creation just like the present car. The idea of creating a new car is very inspiring to me. I love soo many of the current components and will retain everything I love and make something different and very cool IMO. Most likely I'll end up with another car that I'm proud of but with the value of being legally driven.
Is there a general consesus that the 4eyes are less apealing than the 87-93's?? I think the combination of the two cars will be quite unique and different...value wise my 88 is just a shell, no matching numbers and not a speical edition so the 86 should be of equal value and quality of parts.

As nice as your car, and it is very nice, I think I would do it. If you could get the 86 in real good shape, with all your mods, and be further along (shaved bay and such) and still have money left for the family, sounds like a reasonable deal to me. That and I would love to start from scratch again with mine, and do it perfect.

Yep... I'd snap it up. Nope, I'd not screw up your current car to do it.

I keep having thoughts in my head of doing an N/A, 9.5 inch deck, high compression stroker, in an 85 or 86.

Huge cam, highest compression I could get away on pump gas with and a carb.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

That's where it's at right there....370ci tall deck 302 stroker with a Manowar block :drool:

I'll do my best to make you guys proud. I have an appointment tonight to see the car for the final 'check', if all goes well then the plan is definately a go!!!

I will create a thread on the entire process from start to finish.

The doner car is unbelieveable....never hit, original paint and just rediculously clean. It's sporting a 2.3 turbo engine that's running and carries enough parts to sell to not only pay for the car but make a little cash as well. I had no problems what so ever offering him his full asking price ($1000) and feeling like I was stealing from him. :).

In fact I was so impressed with the car that after we brainstormed for a while my buddy who's doing the body and I have decided to seriously consider doing a full swap and infact turning the car into the exact replica of my car. The advantages would be...the color I originally wanted, the bypassing of the emission laws, chance to do the bay the way I've come to want...just a better car IMO.

This is what I would do, but this is just me talking here.

1. Buy the 86 project car and make it a DD/street car, eventually.
2. Keep the 88 as an undriven show car for the next couple of years.

Putting all that time and money into a car to tear it apart to drive another one just doesn't compute well in my head, IMHO.

This scenario sounds like the perfect oppurtunity to have 2 Stangs, but that is just me talking.

Tim

Ah can't do too stangs :(. As long as I keep the current engine in the car I can't licence the car, and to be honest I haven't done a show since 2005 so unless I can get her legal the car will basically sit idle in the garage only to be driven on cruise nights....I would hate not driving it and LOVE the current engine setup. My wants are...color change, smooth bay, and drivable car so for me it makes sense to move into a car that allows me to accomplish all my goals. Cost for the body work is...well...there is no cost, basically it's all about time...and that's one thing I have tons of.

Surely when you said "exact replica" you didn't mean you were swapping noses, did you?

Please say it ain't so - there are too few four eyes around as it is. Why do people keep putting the newer facia on them. :mad: :bang: :(

I am pretty sure he does not plan to swap noses. Go out and find a cheap stock motor. Get it cleaned up and looking perfect and drop it into the red one. Take the wheels and whatever else off and replace it with clean stock stuff. Sell that car and get rolling on the 86!

I have recently come across an 86 project that is just got me going in circles. Just around the corner from me I've been seeing an 86 LX sitting in a driveway just fadding away. So today I approached the owner....what I've confirmed to date, paint is original fadded 86 and she's STRAIGHT, rust is not there at all and the body gaps are just right. Now for the wierd parts....car is caged and sporting some serious SFC underneath, interior is quite mediocre and soso complete BUT the car is a 4 banger converted to a 4banger turbo. Apparently the old owner had high hopes of a turbo car but things went as things go....it never went.

Anyhow here I sit looking at a completely clean with the exterior complete, 86 car that would exclude me from emissions, be a new project that would IMO be a little more original and different than my present 88.

Plan would be to pull the drivetrain from my little girl and install the 88 with another stock 302 and 10holes off the 86 (really really nice set), take half the $$$ to restore/complete the 86 to how I would want it and put the other half of the $$$ into babies bank account.

So far just a thought I'm throwing around...oh by the way I can drive the 86 home for under a grand...so I'm thiking pretty hard.

Theres a real clean ORIGINAL 1986 GT Cobra with 5.0 and 5 speed for around 1500 bucks, it's sitting near New Market... The interior is ****ing mint! Paint is original, may need a buff or a repaint but the car has a ton of oil under it (redneck rust proofing) so a good clean up will reveal a freaking clean 86 for dirt cheap!