U/D Pulleys from 00GT work on 02GT

281Ponies

Nov 14, 2003
I’m aware of the shorter water pump shaft and the recessed bolt pattern on the pulley but this 02 pulley is different from the ones shown on the Steeda web site. It doesn’t have the recessed bolt pattern but looks like a design change was made adding a lip to prevent the belt from slipping forward off the pulley. Production date on the 02 is Oct, 01... will the same pulley’s work?

One other question on these pulleys. How many of you opted not to install the aftermarket alternator pulley?

I ask wondering how much of a difference this one pulley can make being there’s not much difference in the size from the stock one, unlike the size difference with the other two. I opted not to install the alternator pulley on my 00GT, well actually I removed it and replaced the stock. Only difference I can see is my headlights don’t dim as much when rolling the windows up, dash lights are bright and not so dim with the pulley installed... am I missing something here performance wise or just being too finicky.

-Cale

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah Im with him, I dont think they will work since the water pump itself changed didnt it? If it will bolt on, I wouldnt trust that its getting the correct amount of charge. A water pump isnt something to play with.

As for can one pulley make that much of a diff, it depends I would think. From what I know, your crank pulley is the one that creates the most drag on the engine. Keeping the stock alt pulley on might only net you 7-9hp instead of the usual 10-12hp.
Its your call, on my old 5.0 I just installed the crank and water pump pulley but could still feel a huge sotp gain.
I just installed the Steeda pulleys on my '03 the other day, and cant tell much of a difference until I pass 4000rpm. I can feel more of a pull from 4000-6000 than I did before. Anything before that its kinda hard to feel due to the rate my 3.73's make the engine rev.

They changed water pump design in mid '01. The water pump pulley from your '00 won't fit on your '02 unfortunately. I believe Steeda is the only company out there that has kept up with this change. If you go to the order window it will ask you to specify which water pump you've got.

I would put all three on. I agree you won't get the same hp improvement.

Thanks for the replies all unfortunately, I’m still a bit confused and need some further help. At the Steeda site they mention the water pump change took place at two different times, unless I’m just not reading the information right. Below I pulled the text off the site and it mentions the change took place Mid-way through the production run for the 2002 model year Ford, supposedly it occurred in January of 2002. Then below the pictures on the site for visual inspection it mentions Mid 2001.
I can’t post pictures inside a thread yet so I’ll have to attach them. If you could take a look at them and help resolve my confusion I’d be thankful. The first two pics are of my pulley and the next two pics are from the web site.

Thanks as always,
-Cale

Steeda's Guide to 4.6L Water Pump Pulley identification
1. Mid-way through the production run for the 2002 model year Ford changed the design of the water pump on the 4.6L engine. The older style pump produced from 1996 to mid 2002 had a longer shaft. In January of 2002 the design of the pump was changed to a shorter shaft. This necessitated a change in the design of the pump pulley.

You should visually identify which pulley/pump you have before ordering.

The old water pump pulley had a convex or "bowed-out" face, the new design has a concave or pressed in face. There is no exact changeover date for the pump and pulley. It is important to visually inspect your car to see which design you have. Supposedly the changeover occurred in January of 2002, but we have seen cars with identical January build dates and different water pumps and pulleys. We have also seen the old style pulley use in a few 2002 models, so be sure to check yours before ordering.

Attachments

• 02 sideview.JPG
    02 sideview.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 73
  • 02 frontview.JPG
    02 frontview.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 79
My 2002 GT was also built on oct of 2001 and it uses the old style pulleys. 1996-2001 style. If it looks like this:
pulley.jpg
you need the old style pulleys. I believe ford changed the over Feb 2002.

Use all the pulleys including the alternator. I'm using it since dec of 2001 without any problems. The lights dim a little when the heater fan is on high, that's all.

Thanks ForPointSex, that's exactly what I was thinking... my pulley looks just like the one in the link you posted.

Wonder what happened to the pics I attached in this post? :shrug:

-Cale