Un-Programming / Re-setting PCM for NC inspections

All,

So I know I need to un-program my car before inspection, but a friend told me that I need to unprogram it and then drive a bunch of miles to reset the "Drive Cycle" code.

Is this true, or do I just need to unprogram it that day?

Thanks

~K

• Sponsors (?)

Not up to date on NC inspections but I know some areas just plug into the OBD II port and scan the computer. A non - stock configuration can be grounds for a failure.
IMO that sucks most people that go through the trouble of getting their car tuned keep it in tip top condition. Which should lead to less emissions problems.

My car is tuned with a predator tune. How they do inspections here in NC, is by plugging into the ODBII port and scanning the computer.

Roger_4.6_96 - Do you know how far you have to drive after re-setting back to factory?

~K

BooWFO said:
Not up to date on NC inspections but I know some areas just plug into the OBD II port and scan the computer. A non - stock configuration can be grounds for a failure.
IMO that sucks most people that go through the trouble of getting their car tuned keep it in tip top condition. Which should lead to less emissions problems.

Not true. They have no way of knowing what the stock configuration is. They do the odbii tests here. It only checks the odbii codes. I pass every year with a modified tune. As does anyone who has a carb certified supercharger since the tune HAS to be modified.

jstreet0204 said:
Not true. They have no way of knowing what the stock configuration is. They do the odbii tests here. It only checks the odbii codes. I pass every year with a modified tune. As does anyone who has a carb certified supercharger since the tune HAS to be modified.
Like I said I'm not up on NC law.

But I know for a fact the emissions test here FAILED you for a non stock tune. Hence why so many people started getting handhelds. Heck could be something as simple as having the rear o2's turned off in the tune, which is a fairly common thing.
Heck for that matter I had a bike fail the emissions testing here due to having an aftermarket muffler on it. Of course the fact that they held the RPM's at 6k while testing it didn't help either. :bang:

BooWFO said:
Like I said I'm not up on NC law.

But I know for a fact the emissions test here FAILED you for a non stock tune. Hence why so many people started getting handhelds. Heck could be something as simple as having the rear o2's turned off in the tune, which is a fairly common thing.
Heck for that matter I had a bike fail the emissions testing here due to having an aftermarket muffler on it. Of course the fact that they held the RPM's at 6k while testing it didn't help either. :bang:

Sorry, but I do not belive that. How does anyone with a supercharger in your state pass emmesions, since the tune HAS to be modified. They may have failed for another reason, but not for simply modifying the tune.

jstreet0204 said:
Sorry, but I do not belive that. How does anyone with a supercharger in your state pass emmesions, since the tune HAS to be modified. They may have failed for another reason, but not for simply modifying the tune.
wasn't statewide was a county thing. Some people registered car in other counties, and some got real used to remove items once a year for testing. It was the sux.