Urgent Distributor Help Needed!!!!

NKau

Founding Member
Dec 15, 2001
Jefferson, WI
Finally got my freshly built engine dropped in the car, have the tranny, longtubes, and pretty much everything else hooked up........drop in the distributor after getting the motor turned to TDC, and the distributor sits about an 1/8" up off of the block. What could possibley be going on here? I didn't notice this when I primed the engine with my homebuilt priming tool, but even a distributor without the cam gear does the same thing; sits an 1/8" off the block when installed.

What could possibley be going on here? The only thing I can think is that the oil pump drive is somehow too long, or I possibley slid that little clip the holds the pump drive from being pulled up through the distributor opening a little to high, and it's not letting the dizzy drop all the way?

I am stumped and need to get this car out of my friends garage ASAP......anyone have any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

there is a stop washer on the pump shaft when it is installed to keep it from pulling out when the dist in removed and falling in the pan ......You have to tap the dist down(lightly) to slid that washer down the shaft just the first time it is installed.

Alright. I'll try tapping on the 'priming tool' to see if I can knock it down; just pushing on the distributor wasn't enough. I wasn't sure the bottom of the distributor would run into the little clip or not. I actually slid the clip up the shaft a little once I installed it to be sure the shaft couldn't get out.

The oil pump is just a stock replacement melling (included a new pump drive shaft), and the dizzy is factory, so I wouldn't think i should be running into any issues.

The priming tool was just another distributor I tore the cam gear off.......it's all good. Got the little clip pushed down by gently tapping the 'tool' with a hammer. Thanks for the help guys.