V6 Mustangs Suck

faststang_728

Founding Member
Jan 30, 2002
Greenbrier, WV
I used to always hear ppl say that when i had my v6 on the road. Its been out of commission with some front end damage for about a year now. In that time i got an 01' GT. And i love the sound of the GT and the extra power is nice, but the V6 was just as much fun to drive and i miss the hell out of my v6. I loved the look on ppls face when i told them it was a sixer, no one belived me, at least until it came of idle. lol

After owning a v6, a gt and a 5.0(most fun to drive) i still have a very special place in my heart for my first stang, the V6. :flag:

Long live the v6.

Btw isn't ford coming out with a new twin turbo v6 soon.

• Sponsors (?)

I have a 2003 V6 Mustang and I am pleased with it. It not only has the looks and feel of a great car; for being a six cylinder (3.8l) it has a surprising amount of power. Now I know there are a lot of people thinking I must be used to a 4 banger but that is far from the truth.

Granted, it is not as powerful as my 1969 Roadrunner which came stock with a 383 c.i. engine and 727 tranny. For sure it is not as strong my Roadrunner after I made my mods to the Roadrunner such as changing the cam to an Isky 505 with hydraulic racing lifters andd Jazz aluminum racing pistons and changed the carburetion to a Carter 1,000 CFM Thermoquad and other mods; but, like I said. for its engine size and drive train....it is far from a dog.

I wouldn't go as far as to say they suck. It's different strokes for different folks. Some people don't want a V8 for whatever reasons they may have.

For me personally...i could only own a V8 Mustang.

I often lust after a V8, but I drove a 2001 GT recently, (stock) and it didn't feel blindingly fast like I was expecting. It was quicker than my modified V6, but not all that much. I remember my old '88 5.0 would really shove you back in the seat, but this 4.6 didn't do that. The 3.8 has a decent amount of torque, and mine will give back 30 mpg on a straight highway trip. Good enough for me, for now.

I often lust after a V8, but I drove a 2001 GT recently, (stock) and it didn't feel blindingly fast like I was expecting. It was quicker than my modified V6, but not all that much. I remember my old '88 5.0 would really shove you back in the seat, but this 4.6 didn't do that.

It's more or less how the torque on the 4.6L comes on.

Both my '88 5.0 and '03 GT run pretty much the same ET. I've gone 14.1 with the GT and my '88 has gone 14.0 with an automatic transmission. So basically the same...but the 5.0 feels WAY faster simply because of the torque. With the 4.6L, it comes on way later and smoother, so the car simply doesn't feel fast at all. It makes all it's power in the upper RPM range as well, so going WOT at 2000RPM can be disappointing. However, get on the highway and roll through 3rd and 4th and the car screams. My GT would rape my 5.0 on the highway. Wouldn't even be close.

Doesn't mean it isn't...but you aren't the first person to say a 4.6L doesn't feel fast at all. And you won't be the last. I said the same thing when i bought my car.