V8 base Mustang

Wylde

Jan 16, 2004
Edmonton, AB, Canada
I didn't realise that you couldn't get a base Mustang currently with a V8 (at least not in Canada) so my thoughts are if it's not available now, what chance it there it will be in 2005? I hope so, I like the looks of the base better (mainly because I don't like the big fog lights in the grill) but I don't want a V6. If the only way to get the v8 is as a GT then I am buying a base grill and swaping it.

• Sponsors (?)

I'd ditch the fogs too, and probably look to get rid of the rear wing, or change it to a 'duckbutt' if and when that becomes available.

I would love to be able to buy a 'base' mustang with a V8, 5 speed and manual windows, locks, lightweight interior, etc...particularly if it could be had in the 22K-23K range.

Hax

Sir Hacksalot said:
I'd ditch the fogs too, and probably look to get rid of the rear wing, or change it to a 'duckbutt' if and when that becomes available.

I would love to be able to buy a 'base' mustang with a V8, 5 speed and manual windows, locks, lightweight interior, etc...particularly if it could be had in the 22K-23K range.

Hax

So would a lot of people. That's where Ford is missing out. The appeal of the original Mustang was that you could get about any option, in any of 3 body styles. As a result, the cars were almost custom built for the customer. Today, that is a lot easier and cheaper for the company to do (due to computer advances) but they don't give us the choice. Why??

65conv50 said:
So would a lot of people. That's where Ford is missing out. The appeal of the original Mustang was that you could get about any option, in any of 3 body styles. As a result, the cars were almost custom built for the customer. Today, that is a lot easier and cheaper for the company to do (due to computer advances) but they don't give us the choice. Why??

I don't think it is easier to custom build a vehicle now. I know when I bought my 2001 F250, after adding all the options I wanted, it was cheaper just to get the Lariat package and getting some extras I didn't want, but didn't bother me, such as the 6 disc cd changer, I guess cause it is so animated, that there isn't really any human element to making cars anymore. They can make exact carbon copies for cheap, and just sell packages, hence the premium, deluxe, etc for the Mustangs.

The reason it was possible to build custom cars in the past was because they would have unbelievable amounts of parts sitting around. It allowed for a lot of customization but it cost a huge amount to have all of that inventory sitting around. The variety of parts led to lot of quality problems. It also cost more because the guy who installed an option on only every 1 out of five cars got to stand around 80% of the time.

I've done documentary work at a Ford plant and it isn't any less cost effective to build custom cars. It's the same as getting options. The guy installing the optional 6 disc changer is the same guy installing the base am/fm stereo. He's not sitting around when it's a base model. They know back at the off-site company building the seats and the headliners where, exactly, they fit in the lineup. It's actually quite impressive how organized and exact it is.You couls sit at the offsite plant and then go to the Ford plant and tell which truck or car was getting what option from watching the build line at the other plants. I was at the F-150 plant and you had 5.4 litres and 4.6s coming up on the same belt one after the other depending on what option got what motor. So it wouldn't be that difficult to just substitute mustang bodies. GT body gets 4.6, then a V-6 body gets the 4.6 or a V-6. The trannys are already mounted when they come swinging up the line.

On of the main reasons for the limited option list and just having a small selection of option packages is the dealers. Most dealers want things as simple as possible and they rather just sell what they have on the lot today then take an order, not have the vehicle for 4 - 8 weeks and give you a chance to back out of the sale.

I hate to tell you guys this, but Ford really doesn't consider you their customers. They consider their dealers their real customers and they do things to keep the dealers happy, not you.

351CJ said:
I hate to tell you guys this, but Ford really doesn't consider you their customers. They consider their dealers their real customers and they do things to keep the dealers happy, not you.

100% true...To give and example of this is GM and the SSR. The Canadian price is totally out of wack compared to the US price. Currently you can get a SSR in the US cheaper by over $15k than in Canada and the only way GM will fix that is if the dealers can't sell them (MSRP $43k USD / $70K CDN - actual US MSRP converted to CDN is $55k). Consumers can complain all they want and nothing will change. I hope Ford doesn't screw the math too much for the GT. If it's over $40k...forget it! I'll look for something else.

I think buying a GT the way it is and buying an extra grill will be a lot easier. I just hope they do offer the V8 in a base model convertible.

When I ordered my 99GT it had a long list of optins to choose from... I selected most of them except for the AT... I liked that flexibility... The deluxe and Premium Packages is a fairly new idea...

BTW, It would be great to have the option of a bare bones v8.... I want it with manual windows, Manual locks, ABS w/o traction control (like in 99, traction control was an independent option), am/fm radio (i will substitute with aftermerket head unit), 300HP V8, 5spd, etc...

BSRacing said:
When I ordered my 99GT it had a long list of optins to choose from... I selected most of them except for the AT... I liked that flexibility... The deluxe and Premium Packages is a fairly new idea...

BTW, It would be great to have the option of a bare bones v8.... I want it with manual windows, Manual locks, ABS w/o traction control (like in 99, traction control was an independent option), am/fm radio (i will substitute with aftermerket head unit), 300HP V8, 5spd, etc...

Interestingly enough, traction control probably doesn't add any cost to the new car. With the drive-by-wire throttle an existing ABS hardware on the car, T.C. basically amounts to a software upgrade. Is it optional on the V6?

Personally, I think I'd opt for the optional 500 watt sound system and keep the stock head unit. The 1000 watt system is a bit ridiculous and aftermarket systems tend to attract thieves. My car has been broken into twice in the last 2 years and last time they took took my stereo. I'm sure the 500 watt system will sound great.

BSRacing said:

Why would you want Manual locks and windows? to save 3lbs. of weight?

Even 2000 Cobra R came with power windows & locks

351CJ said:
On of the main reasons for the limited option list and just having a small selection of option packages is the dealers. Most dealers want things as simple as possible and they rather just sell what they have on the lot today then take an order, not have the vehicle for 4 - 8 weeks and give you a chance to back out of the sale.

That is a good point. But don't they realize that they sell fewer vehicles that way?

Z28x said:
Why would you want Manual locks and windows? to save 3lbs. of weight?

Even 2000 Cobra R came with power windows & locks

???????? Power windows and locks can save a lot more then 3lbs. The 3rd gen fbodys had a 45lb pound diffrence with out the power crap.

falchulk said:
???????? Power windows and locks can save a lot more then 3lbs. The 3rd gen fbodys had a 45lb pound diffrence with out the power crap.

and u also have less stuff to worry about it breaking... A problem I had w/ the Cobra was that the power windows would stop working.. I almost lemon lawed the car over it... My 99GT was another story... it was great in al sense of the way...

In a new car power window motors should last at least 150,000mi. To get rid of the power windows they then have to engineer and stock a 2nd set of door internal, it probably wouldn't be much cheaper in the end. aside from the added convenece, pw & pl will also help your resale. Now a days no one wants to buy a car without power windows and locks, it's too much of a PITA.

Z28x said:
Now a days no one wants to buy a car without power windows and locks, it's too much of a PITA.

I don't understand why anyone would want crank up windows and manual locks. :scratch:

Get over it guys, power windows and locks are here to stay. 9 out of 10 (if not more) people want them.

I considered a set of power windows for my '65. But the minor convenience isn't worth the $700+ cost. Especially since it is a toy car, not a daily driver. My daily driver has power windows, locks and all the goodies. Power windows are almost a necessity here in the South in the summer. You have to roll all your windows down to get the hot air out, then run them up and turn on the a/c. Can't do that while driving if you are alone.