Valve cover guidance

Blakonblak94

Jan 31, 2010
You guys helped great a while back. Now I need one more suggestions. I just did a hci swap on my mustang. Now I have to use taller valve covers. I currently have some procomp polished aluminum ones. They clear everywhere but the back of my alternator. Any suggestions??

• Sponsors (?)

The Trick Flow valve covers are awesome. You have to drill a hole for the filler neck, but you can pick where you want it. They are tall enough to clear stud mount rockers, but they are pretty low profile, and clear most intakes without a spacer, and clear the alternator. I picked up a set on ebay for under $100.

Kurt

I did swap over to a fox body style setup so some clearance is needed. But what Im most worried about is clearance behind my alternator. I may pick up a set of trickflows wen money becomes more available. These things are being a pain though.

I was in the same boat, and most likely he needs taller covers due to stud mount rockers versus stock pedesatl mount.

The short trickflows fit over my 1.6 stud mount rockers, cleared the alternator, and had enough height to add in a baffle and hole for breathers.

I did have to notch the holes for the bolts a mm or two, so that I could slide it way from the alternator a bit, but you'd never know I did.

Alternator clearance varies from head to head, because the lip is higher on some heads. With Fox valve covers on my Canfields, there was no hope of clearing the alternator. I tried, never got close, and just as a joke finished the job. It went through the valve cover before I cleared it.

Kurt

Anybody running fox covers on a set of twisted wedges? Just out of curiosity? The ones I have are holding up ok but they are cracked behind alternator with clear silicone covering it temporarily.

Anderson ford motorsports chrome VC's they clear everything and fit over any rocker arms. The price is great also.

I'm confused. When I send them and email inquiring about their valve covers for my 95' GT with ported thumper GT40s and stock pedestal mount rockers, they replied back to telling me that the valve covers would not work?

Can anyone verify for certain if they have used these covers without issues?

Is it the oil fill location that is in the way or what?

99% of the time the clearance issue on 94-95's is the alternator placement. The valve cover usually requires notching to clear. The accessory brackets on foxes are different, placing the alternator further away, eliminating this problem.

I am not willing to run a fox accessory setup just to clear a valve cover though.

I had a set of Moroso stamped steal valve covers that worked fine, but they were very tall, and required two intake spacers. The Trick Flows fit with no mods also.

Kurt

Anybody running fox covers on a set of twisted wedges? Just out of curiosity? The ones I have are holding up ok but they are cracked behind alternator with clear silicone covering it temporarily.

I run em on my AFR's :D

I needed just a wee bit more room next to the alt :(

I did not wanna grind down the vc :nono:

I used a very thin washer on each mounting bolt to shim out the alt :)

It was like 65 thou of an inch IIRC

Don't know how much more room you need :shrug:

Grady

i used canton vc. i needed a intake spacer. and i had the alternator issue. i used washers behind the entire bracket to push the alternator ,tensioner and smog/delete pulley out. then i matched the spacing with the bracket on the drivers side. and i shimmed out the crank pulley . the water pump pulley was wide enough. i have had it like this for a year and no problems

I run em on my AFR's :D

I needed just a wee bit more room next to the alt :(

I did not wanna grind down the vc :nono:

I used a very thin washer on each mounting bolt to shim out the alt :)

It was like 65 thou of an inch IIRC

Don't know how much more room you need :shrug:

Grady

Did the same a Grady with my AFRs and Anderson polished covers. Works just fine

Don't know if you would want to use them, but i got the old school finned powered by ford valve covers to fit on mine for super cheap. They are too tall for the factory intake, but I have an explorer intake and it works fine, 1" spacer installed now just because, they also clear my 1.72 rockers with the baffles removed, and no concerns with the alternator

I just stripped and painted the factory VC's. AFR heads and 1:7rr, no clearance issues at all.
a8ad741e.jpg

fab7e825.jpg