Valve Cover Leak...What is the BEST solution?

94GTLaserRC

Squint as you approach, lest you be blinded by my
15 Year Member
Just found out that my leaking now may just be the VC's.

We took off the stockers, left the original gaskets there (VIB, Roger, and Jose ALL agreed that they look good). We cleaned the surfaces with brake cleaner, and reinstalled the new chromers.

There is oil seaping out near the back corners of both..

Should I:

1. Take them off and put the stockers back on?
2. Buy new gaskets...Then..which ones (im leaving soon)
3. Put some of the dark gray/black RTV around the covers and reinstall them?

I didnt know if You could do the 3rd option there, or you CAN just put RTV around them.

Im heading out around 1PM, so I need some quick replies.

Thanks
RC

• Sponsors (?)

I would go with either option 2 or 3 or maybe both. If you've got a leak and you reused the gaskets, that would difinetely be the first thing I would go after. If they aren't bad now, they could go in a little bit. It also couldn't hurt to run a bead of RTV silicone around everything. Just my $.02. But I would definetely replace the old gaskets.

The first thing I'd try is new gaskets. Get some rubber/cork Fel-Pro's and try again. Go easy on the silicone though, that crap causes more problems that if fixes. Make sure to that the gasket rail on the v/c's is straight. Sometimes they get bent and wont seal no matter what. Good luck.

What is the best order?

This is how I thought of it..Slight bead of sealer inside the cover, then put the gasket in the cover, then a small film of RTV on top of the gasket once it is in the cover, then put the cover on and let sit.

OR..

are you suppose to silicone and place the gasket on the heads, THEN please the VC on top?

Thanks
RC

I have Chrome VCs like the ones you installed...the stock rubber gasket wouldn't go...I used Fel-pro cork ones that came in my FMS gasket kit....I have had em on and off 6 times over and no leaks....Do your VCs have the little cut-outs for the gasket tab, like 8 places around em??? Those tabs work sweet for holding the gasket and Fel-Pros have those tabs on em...

Just replace em, cork or rubber....something don't fit if you have leaks...RTV would be a ghetto fix.. :D

RIO5.0 said:
I have Chrome VCs like the ones you installed...the stock rubber gasket wouldn't go...I used Fel-pro cork ones that came in my FMS gasket kit....I have had em on and off 6 times over and no leaks....Do your VCs have the little cut-outs for the gasket tab, like 8 places around em??? Those tabs work sweet for holding the gasket and Fel-Pros have those tabs on em...

Just replace em, cork or rubber....something don't fit if you have leaks...RTV would be a ghetto fix.. :D

Rio, I HATE Ghetto fixes too, but I guess I need to know if you use RTV along WITH the gaskets, and do you fit the gaskets into the covers, then put the covers on, or to you put the gaskets on the head, then set the covers on?

Thanks
RC

Update!

Update:
The rear bolts on the covers (top and bottom on both) both required about 1/2 turn with the socket to tighten them up. I did NOT drive the car, but let it run a bit. I ran my hand along the lip and I got "some" oil residue, but not gobs dripping. At least that gives me time to go get the gaskets.

Now I can check again for leaks and go from there.

So far (from what I can see, it does NOT look like there is oil coming from the lower in the back, but there is still oil getting into the upper intake.

RC

Rob- I put RTV all around the top of the gasket and then put the VC on. This was yesterday. It spilled all over the sides meaning I got a good seal, and I have a broken bolt remember. I drove the car today and no leaks. I think I might be able to go to your house tomorrow. If I go, we'll do that. Dont waste your money on new gaskets yet man.

str8stang036 said:
Rob- I put RTV all around the top of the gasket and then put the VC on. This was yesterday. It spilled all over the sides meaning I got a good seal, and I have a broken bolt remember. I drove the car today and no leaks. I think I might be able to go to your house tomorrow. If I go, we'll do that. Dont waste your money on new gaskets yet man.

SOmeone on the other thread posted that RTV for that use was a "ghetto" fix. I kinda agree.

Menfi (my mechanic) can get me some gaskets at cost. I may either just get them from him tomorrow, or let him take it in next week (he has to redo the gasket for the Water pump, and I can just get him to change the gaskets...that way, when he's done, he can put in on the lift, look for leaks, then he can change out the Oil sending unit for me.

Ill call you tonight.

RC

RC....Nope, no RTV at all....wipe both surfaces clean.....

If your VCs have those tabs I mentioned, the gasket "ears" will fit in those tabs, so install the gaskets on the VC first, that'll hold em while you install them....

I only tighten VC gaskets with one hands pressure til snug...you don't wanna reef on em. Maybe you snuggin em some will cure it....Damn...off comes the Upper again... :bang:

Good luck.... :nice:

I would get the Felpro Rubber/Cork gaskets also. I used the Edelbrock gasket sealant on mine. This stuff is great! You dont have to worry about silicon globbing up everywhere. This is usually in a can next to all the other gasket sealers at most of the parts stores. It is high temp and it sets FAST! You will use the brush that is made into the lid and then simply brush it onto your gasket. It will setup in a matter of minutes to a pliable sealer. You have to try it. It comes off easily with thinner.

madams74 said:
I would get the Felpro Rubber/Cork gaskets also. I used the Edelbrock gasket sealant on mine. This stuff is great! You dont have to worry about silicon globbing up everywhere. This is usually in a can next to all the other gasket sealers at most of the parts stores. It is high temp and it sets FAST! You will use the brush that is made into the lid and then simply brush it onto your gasket. It will setup in a matter of minutes to a pliable sealer. You have to try it. It comes off easily with thinner.
Sounds like a winner to me!
Thanks
RC